short,med,long range varmint round.

kirbymagnum

I was woundering what cartrige do you use for short range and what do you use for medium and what do you use for long. What brand of bullet and how much grain? And what do you use it for?

95 grain ballistic tip in 243

use it on coyote's with devastating results at all ranges. 2.79OAL 44.6 gr IMR 4831 1/2" outta my Rem 700v

Remington 700 - chambered in 6mm AI - Hornaday A-Max 105 seated @.005 off the lands - IMR 7828 47.5 grains. - Federal BR primers - Winchester brass.

My everything varmint load.

12-34hom.

i use .243 pretty much exclusively

encore pistol -
100grn sierra psp game kings & imr4350 exclusivly

mossy 800bv heavy barrel -
short to med. range 60grn sierra jhp varmiters and imr4895
long >400yrds - 107grn sierra jhp match kings and imr 4350, i've only used them on targets. haven't had the opportunity for long range varmits yet

good question:

Short ==> .17 HMR, Hornady 20 gr (small varmints only)
Medium/Long ==> .223 rem, light 40 or 45 grainers (usually Win white box)
Very Long ==> .243 Win, either medium (75, 80, 85 gr), or medium-heavy (95). I don't think the twist rate in either of my .243s is enough to stabilize 100s and 105s well enough - they don't like those heavy rounds, as a general rule. I think my rifles are both 1 in 10, and you need a 1 in 9 for 105s and 107s, for good results.

Will a 1-12 twist for a .223 support the 40 grain bullets? How much better if they are, are they then the 50 or 55 grains?

Short- rimfire, most economical and very polite around the farm.

Med- 22 Hornet, economical to reload and as polite as a centerfire gets.

Long- 243, medium weight boat tails give a nice balance of tragectory
and x-wind resistance.

Varies. Sometimes I carry a little Ruger 77 Mk II in .223; sometimes a little Sako carbine in .243.

I fell into using the Sierra 85-grain HPBT in the .243. That bullet has worked very well on smaller whitetail and is devastating on coyotes.

Art

Has anyone used the .204 ruger on coyotes what would be the biggest animal you could kill with it with out the animal suffering?

I'd say that if you want to be quite ethical, then coyote or maybe beaver would be the largest animal to attempt to take with a .204.

my friend shoots a 220 swift has taking many prairie dogs past 700yards. i thinks he said he got on some around 740 some odd yards im not shure what model it is but god it is the most accurate thing that i have seen out at that kind of range. i would go w/ it for long but if you shoot really light fast rounds you risk burning out a barrel. for short in side 150yards for little critters go w/ a marlin .17hmr ive got a marlin 917v model it is accurate as hell. but for all around one rifle i would go w/ a 22-250 good cal. i think that a bullbarrel is a must and shot the lightest bullets possable speed kills w/ something this small.

Do you guys think that a range finder is a must have when varminting?

And the harris bipods what are better the rotate to the sides or the normal harris bipods? What is the difference between the 9-13 s-L or the 9-13 s-Lm

How much rounds do you put through your .223 then clean it.

i use good ole meatstick a savage .243 with a winchester silver ballistic tip in the 55 grn and it is a very nasty round on coyotes on up to hogs I put a 300 pounder down with that load at like 250 the .243 really does a great job at all distances and one person said the .220 swift that would be a great choice even though the factory ammunition isn't cheap but if you hand load it would be a great one I don't have that luxury cause it takes money and that's something I aint got right now even the .22-.250 would be a great one wish I could get one of those it will come soon though:D :D :D

Short range = .22 Hornet (<150yd) 35gn Vmax
Mid range = .222 (150-300yd) 50 gn Vmax
Long range = .22-250 (300-500yd) 52gn HPBT match Sierra
Longer range = .25-06 (500-700yd) 100gn HPBT match Sierra
Occasional way out there = 300 WinMag 110gn

As for the range finder, it is an excelent tool for learning to read distance. Many times while P-dog hunting, one ranges, the other shoots then trade. Other times, every man for himself. I generally find that misses occour on "abnormally sized critters" ie, large P-dog at a great distance looks like a small dog closer etc. Use the range finder to avoid these misses.

As for the bipod, I have both and find that I keep the swivel base locked nearly all the time, if you are on unlevel ground, the legs themself are adjustable, so I see little use for the slight amount of cant the base allows.

Back to the guns, if you are looking for an allround great varmit gun, it is hard to beat the 22-250, everyone has their favorite, thats mine.
~z

Will a 1-12 twist for a .223 support the 40 grain bullets?

Yes, it's ideal for that. 1 in 12 will handle 35s up to 55s, and possibly even 60/62/63s, depending on the gun. The 40s are not better or worse, just different (flatter shooting but losing energy faster than heavier ones; more explosive but less penetrative & bucks the wind poorly - everything is a tradeoff).

for the heavier .223 bullets (60gn+) the 1 in 10 or 1 in 9 are much better. as far as the .223 on Pdogs any of the bullet choices will do the trick.

somewhere around .243 or .25-06, they won't 'fly', they will 'mist'. I'd say fly factor about same between .223 and .243, but so many variables (bullet construction, weight, P-dog size, etc.) that it's hard to say. On small p-dogs, there will be no flying, as the .243 with light varmint bullets will 'mist' them, so therefore if that is your goal, a .223 would be better perhaps. But with bigger ones, the .243 may be better. Kind of a twisted goal, isn't it? I'm not judging, just sayin... :)

Back