Shopping for a "cowboy" gun!

post 18

The revolver displayed in post 18 is one of the Hawes "Marshal's" to which I was referring to earlier, manufactured by Sauer. It appears identical to my Dad's, which as I advised was in .44 mag.

And the 44Mag version:

attachment.php

I also have one in 38spl/357 with a spare 9mm cylinder but the one I shoot most often is a Ruger Wrangler 22LR.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 44Mag.jpg
    44Mag.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Wrangler.jpg
    Wrangler.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
When I was shopping for a cowboy pistol I my got hands on every thing I could for a few months before I plunked down the cash for a New Vaquero. Wanted something strong & safe that would last & not have to modify to make it fully functional. Not cheap but for me a great value.
udSW2Dql.jpg

r1ZhUAgl.jpg

Sometimes you just have to see one that speaks to you. I saw one like tazbigdog's pic in faux case hardened and had to have it. It is my first and love it. It shoots like a dream.

Ruger Vaquero Shop Keeper.

Ruger single actions are good strongly built guns However, if you are one of those folks with a penchant for taking things apart they aren't for you. I had one of the large older Vaquero that was a nightmare to load and unload as it didn't register for the chambers. DUH.

If Ruger is too expensive for your budget, cheaper but double action options exist from Charter Arms and also the Taurus Judge. Also the Bond derringer.

I know you said cheap, but I also am a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk fan. Both are quality guns and will last a lifetime.

If you are not interested in the 45 Colt round, why not sell the ammo and buy something you really want?

Uberti has suppled Colt with lots of parts for their Colt SAA's over the years. Cimarron and Taylor along with former USFA convienced Uberti and Pietta to up their game and today they build some of the best single action revolvers available. Currently the only other manufacturer that makes a better revolver is Standard Manufacturing and it is three times the price. I have owned and shot them all and for the money Uberti is as good as they come. I slightly prefer the Uberti over the Pietta but either are good.
Uberti supplied parts for the reproduction cap and ball revolvers that Colt sold. Uberti never supplied parts for the Single Action Army. This is an oft repeated urban legend.

I've been shooting cowboy action for 13 years and am now the Match Director for my club. I've helped a lot of new shooters select gear and I've seen every brand and type. We shoot our guns a lot.

Rugers are really expensive now, and hard to find.

I can't recommend a current model Uberti 1873 pattern revolver. Too many have problems.

The Piettas are a good choice and there are some budget friendly SKUs out there.

My favorite "Cowboy" gun.

attachment.php

It was made in 1903 and was closer to what a cowboy might be able to afford.

Chambered for smokeless powder 38S&W.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• smith-DAsmall.gif
    smith-DAsmall.gif
    401.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 38-DA-4th-Model-2.jpg
    38-DA-4th-Model-2.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 38-DA-4th-Model-open-2.jpg
    38-DA-4th-Model-open-2.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Vaquero is the Spanish word for cowboy.

And Ruger's first class customer service applies to used firearms as well as new, so you don't have to be the original owner to get free replacement parts and service.

Another vote for the Taylors. I have a Taylors Smokewagon in .45 and it is a well put together revolver and accurate. Also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk, but that doesn't feel like a cowboy gun. Different animal.

Ruger Vaquero. Original or New Vaquero. Spendy up front these days (though I sold several from my collection recently). IF you get tired of it, someone WILL buy it for a decent price...

I'd say it depends on what kind of loads you want to shoot. Open top revolvers were made with only black powder in mind. If you shoot smokeless it has to be reduced power and pressure or they won't hold up.

Italian clones of the 1873 Army use the same trigger bolt spring and hand spring of the old Colt designs. They are easy to replace but will break. These guns are easy to take all the way down with a good set of Grace USA screwdrivers which makes them ideal for black powder loads. Residue goes everywhere, is very easy to clean, but everything must be "washed".

New Vaqueros are stronger than Colts and can go a little beyond standard pressure. They are more difficult to disassemble but you'll never have to if you stick with smokeless.

Blackhawks and Redhawks can handle any +P load out there. Not as authentic looking but adjustable sights sure are nice.

All my rugers had tight chamber mouths and needed to be cut to .4525 so buy a reamer.

If you shoot smokeless it has to be reduced power and pressure or they won't hold up.

That's just not true. The modern cartridge guns are proofed to CIP standards. Kirst is even making a cylinder to convert the percussion guns to 45 acp.

New Vaqueros are stronger than Colts and can go a little beyond standard pressure.

There is nothing to support this. Guys like Dave Scovill were loading them with 270 grain RCBS SAA cast bullets to 1100ft/sec before the New Vaquero was even a thing.

Blackhawks and Redhawks can handle any +P load out there.

Not true either. The large frame Blackhawk 45 colt is good to 30kpsi while the Red hawk is good to 50kpsi. Wouldn't want those 50k loads in a Black hawk.

Blackhawks and Redhawks can handle any +P load out there.

I'd think so, since the only actual "+P" loads are the SAAMI ones, and in both the "hawks" chamberings those are .38 Special +P , 9mm +P, and .45ACP +P. There are no SAAMI +P loads in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, or .45 Colt.

So what a handloader can do and what pressures the gun can run is wide range of possibilities. SAAMI spec "+P" loads are a specific loading.

That's just not true. The modern cartridge guns are proofed to CIP standards. Kirst is even making a cylinder to convert the percussion guns to 45 acp.
Let's see what Krist has to say.
Use only lead bullets with black powder or an equivalent low-velocity smokeless powder load in centerfire Kirst Cartridge Konverters.
https://kirstkonverter.com/faqs-troubleshooting.html
It doesn't matter what these guns are proofed too, they still use the same weak parts and will break. They won't blow the clyinder most likely but you'll severely lessen the life of these guns. Those who shoot these often already know this. Sam Colt knew this too which is why he switched to a closed frame design in 1873.

There is nothing to support this. Guys like Dave Scovill were loading them with 270 grain RCBS SAA cast bullets to 1100ft/sec before the New Vaquero was even a thing.
There's a lot to support Rugers being stronger. Just compare the hand springs and trigger bolt springs. Again, those who shoot a lot of these guns already know the weak points, so did Bill Ruger which is why he improved on them. If you want to shoot heavy mag loads in your Colt go ahead but Colt doesn't recommend it and neither does any sane person who shoots these guns regularly.

Get a Taurus 454casull and you can shoot 45colt from it including 45colt +p. I believe its called a Raging Bull and MSRP is about $1200. You will never wear out that gun by using 45colt in it. Its like buying a 357mag and only putting 38special through it. They are also double action and have picatinny rails. Im sorry, but if we were back in the wild west times, that Raging Bull would literally be all the rage. There are also leverguns. Cowboys loved their leverguns in 45colt and the extra barrel length gives it a huge power boost. Ruger makes a short barrel 454casull called the Red Hawk Alaskan. If not any of those, a vaquero is the way to go, true cowboy era design, single action, boring.

Back