Shopping for a "cowboy" gun!

Prof Young

I have a couple hundred rounds of 45 colt in the ammo closet, which makes me think it may be time to have a single action revolver to shoot them. I'm starting my search. This will be a fun-gun, range toy only and I don't need a high quality, really expensive, keep-it-forever-and-hand-it-down gun.

I kinda wish Heritage made one, but I suppose their inexpensive construction may be too much for higher calibers

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Cimarron and Taylor's & Co. make single action revolvers in the $5-600 range.
Good advice, you might even find a used one for $400 or less. Most of their guns are made by Uberti, another good choice. Heritage did have a center fire, I think they were Pietta’s. But I don’t see them listed anymore.

Dog house, looking for a Dog !!! .... "Been there"

I have a couple hundred rounds of 45 colt in the ammo closet, which makes me think it may be time to have a single action revolver to shoot them.
Just when I thought I was the only one that looked for a firearm that I had a bunch of ammo for. Simular to learning how to swim before buying a pair of trunks. I "had" the same problem and found a used Taurus for $300, that fit the bill quite well. I believe this was a Goucho. Pietta or Uberti, would be my next suggestion and won't break the bank. Don't ask me why but am shopping for an 1875 "Outlaw. ...... :)

https://gunwatcher.com/

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Agreed that the Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor's is a good choice, especially if you're just getting into these and aren't looking for a higher end investment/shooter. I've got a few Ubertis, in addition to some "real" Colts, the latter of which I'm afraid to shoot because they're more of investment/show pieces. I've got one Uberti/Taylor's gun in .357 Mag., along with these two Ubertis that I shoot a lot, in .45 Colt:

full

full

Frank

I bought an Uberti "Thunderer" .45 Colt with spare .45 ACP cylinder about a year ago, and it would be quite difficult for me to be happier.
I am a handloader so that extends my enjoyment.
I bought it new, and the price was well worth it, and affordable.
I have ordered and now use an El Paso Saddlery holster and belt, though a bit expensive, fits well and, of course, is ready to last.
I fit a regular Colt plowhandle grip on it to replace the "birds head" eventhough the origional was easy to shoot.
The frame is a "black powder" style, but there is nothing wrong with that.
Have fun, and I'll see you at the range.
Gene

I have an Uberti EL PATRON, 45 COLT, WITH 5 AND 1/2 INCH BARREL, just remember if you carry it, load one, skip a chamber, and load the other 4, just like a COLT.

It has a trigger job from the factory, and WOLFF springs thru out. It also shoots amazingly good. I too am a reloader and as long as I keep to standard pressure loads is ok

Expense rules Colt ot leaving Ruger as good alternative. Adjustable sight model is best.
I never buy anything with a name that sounds like it should come with bread sticks.

used

Been there....had a chance to buy a quantity of .22 Hornet ammo, cheap, but no rifle in my safe chambered for the Hornet......I still wish I had bought the stuff.

OK, back to SA revolvers. If you're willing to shop a bit (well, maybe a good bit) and go the used route, there was a line of SA revolvers imported in the 1960's-70's by an outfit called "Hawes" that marketed a family of cowboy revolvers. The models had assorted colorful names, Western Marshal, Frontier Marshal and so on. The revolvers were made by JP Sauer and Sohn in W. Germany and quality was very good.

The ones I've seen and handled were all in .357 or .44 mag, but supposedly they were also chambered in .45 Colt.

My Dad had a fixed sighted model in .44

Uberti has suppled Colt with lots of parts for their Colt SAA's over the years. Cimarron and Taylor along with former USFA convienced Uberti and Pietta to up their game and today they build some of the best single action revolvers available. Currently the only other manufacturer that makes a better revolver is Standard Manufacturing and it is three times the price. I have owned and shot them all and for the money Uberti is as good as they come. I slightly prefer the Uberti over the Pietta but either are good.

So the Colt replicas are well represented here, I've always had a hankering for the 1875 Remington Outlaw, and both Uberti and Taylor's make one. Just another option, and a bit more rarer if you ever chose to resell it. I have to say, I'm a fan of the old western tv shows and Movies, and when I saw a Remington I gave the show props for authenticity.

One of the Colt SAA clones I bought a half century or so ago. It was made by JP Sauer I believe and is 45 Colt.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 526
So the Colt replicas are well represented here, I've always had a hankering for the 1875 Remington Outlaw, and both Uberti and Taylor's make one.

They're both made by Uberti. I looked at one at my LGS and they feel awkward to me. When I saw this Richards Mason I forgot all about the Outlaw.

hxfM421l.jpg

I have a cople of 1871 open tops, but really like that Richard/Mason conversion.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05023-1.JPG
    DSC05023-1.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 499
Back