Shooting with other eye

I am right-handed but with my dad's help about 65 years ago I learned my left eye is dominant. Since then I have only shot rifles, shotguns, and compound bows left-handed. Fortunately, my dad's help learning my left eye dominance enabled me to enjoy many years of successful hunting whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear, elk, small game, waterfowl, and upland birds.

Thanks all. I think I'll just need to shoot left handed. ARs I don't worry about too much, we'll see how much brass I eat. My main concern is bolt guns. But as a long retired police officer, handguns are my primary weapon anyway, and I'm fine with those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the military, laft handed AR got a bent brass rod screwed/bolted thru hole in the M-16 carry handle to deflect the ejected round.

Quote:
Since then I have only shot rifles, shotguns, and compound bows left-handed

They used to teach that. It has since been found to be completely unnecessary.

Is it your opinion that my shooting rifles, shotguns and compound bows right-handed would have been superior, i.e., more accurate, faster, easier, or more comfortable?

Had to make some changes.

My right handed shooting partner had a stroke some years ago. He lost the vision in his right eye. Friend now shoots left handed. He remains a good shot.

Before my cataract surgery, I shot left eyed using right hand with a handgun. No need to shoot this way after cataract removed.

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out why, after 3 sets of glasses from 3 different places, my vision still wasn't clear..until I bought my first, after lotsa years, handgun to go shoot with my 2 grown sons..nothing, like the sights and targets, seemed clear out of my right eye. Lo and behold..I have some double vision out of my right eye. Ophthalmologist says I have some 'bubbles and a 'line' in my RH lens..not a muscle thing..cataract surgery to correct if it bugs me enough(it doesn't)...so off to the range using my left eye to shoot..and viola...clear shooting..so yup, LH eyeball shooting works for me..

I'm right handed and (was) right eye dominant before overaggressive skiing blinded my right eye. It played hell with my long gun game but had little effect on my IPSC competition. I avoided rifles for a long time but eventually resolved to learn to mount them on the left. It took a while but now I reflexively mount left. All my rifles are semi auto; right side eject has posed no problems whatsoever from 10/22's, AR's of various calibers and an M1A SOCOM. My HD shotgun is a KSG with bottom eject like your Ithaca 37. No problems. The best advice I can offer is to get a 10/22 and shoot it left handed a lot and often. You'll get your skills back.

Left eye; right hand

After 50+ years of shooting right and right, my eyes changed and I am now left eye dominant.
A royal PITA. I still compete with pistol but with a red dot sight using my left eye and moving my strong hand slightly to my left.

No issues whatsoever and I still place 1st or 2nd in meets.

Rifle does not pose a problem with a scope but shotgun is a disaster.

Good luck.

For your AR-15. get a brass deflector, Brownells has them for under $25. I am right handed but shoot lefty with a rifle, because my right eye is bad.

It gave me fits when I qualified in Basic training, because I was lousy with my left hand.

Brass deflector.jpg
PS: Does your rifle have that nub on it, right behind the ejector? If it does, that is a brass deflector.

Is it your opinion that my shooting rifles, shotguns and compound bows right-handed would have been superior, i.e., more accurate, faster, easier, or more comfortable?
  I think Yes, they would be more accurate. The other day I read an article about this, if I can find it, I will sent it

Based on my father's advice that was, in turn, based on his own experience I shot my single shot .22 left-handed. My accuracy was IMMEDIATELY SUPERIOR compared to the accuracy of shooting right-handed. It is a well-known fact that some people have cross-dominant vision - that is, for example, a person may have a dominant left eye although the person is definitely right-handed. I also shoot compound bows left-handed. I can't shoot a hand gun left-handed but I must aim with my left eye. I certainly don't insist that people with left eye dominance shoot left-handed but my father's experience and advice enabled me to successfully hunt many game animals, birds (e.g. pheasants), and waterfowl for many years including one Pope & Young Whitetail buck, and several other trophies hanging on my walls.

Back