Shooting with both eyes open

If you want to shoot with both eyes open a trick is to put some Scotch Tape over your non dominant eye. Then you can keep them both open but only see with your dominant eye.

:confused: wait what :)

Why would you do that . Is it just to get started and work past your muscle memory ?? Then later stop using the tape . If not I think I'd rather just close the other eye .

Metal god, Personally, I have to cover my non shooting eye (left) lens with scotch tape because I see two targets with both eyes open. Why I don't know, maybe I'm left eye dominate, or I'm just plain goofy? If I shoot for any length of time with the left eye closed, my right eye dilates, then really causes problems.

I'm pretty much incapable of shooting with both eyes open, I'm not able to focus properly. My buddy who has always shot like this cant understand why most people shoot with one eye, go figure.

My left eye seems to be dominant enough that I can shoot handguns with both eyes open. Sometimes when focusing on the target or ow light I will close my right eye.

Rifle, shotguns, I have to shoot with only one eye to focus on the sights.

Not sure what to suggest except try to keep it consistent. I've even tried shooting left handed and still keep a little practice with it.

Mike 38's answer is right only if that is the only solution for a particular shooter. I've shot very well for over 60 years - shotguns, rifles, handguns, and compound bows with both eyes open and without ANY obstruction over my non-dominant eye - literally hundred of rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, and pheasants, as well as many whitetail bucks, mule deer, pronghorns, black bear, and elk. Also coyotes and foxes. Aiming with my dominant left eye while keeping my right eye open and focused on the target has worked very well for me. I would not recommend blocking or obscuring the vision of the non-dominant eye except as a last resort.

Back