Shooting Wheel Guns

When I first started bug I g hand guns I wanted autos cause they were cool. But as time I went on i got interest in revolvers starting with a 45 Colt Blackhawk. Then one more and more then a whole bunch of revelvers, all kinds of calibers and ages. Newest is a 30 Carbine Blackhawk about 10 years old , oldest is a 1912ish Nagant. I shoot more and more revolvers, mostly cause I reload and have developed OCD with finding and keeping all my brass. Plus autos are eveywhere, I take out a Swiss 1929 at the range and about guarantee most have never seen on in real life.

With no flinch, SA is much more accurate than DA, unless you are willing to take all day pulling the DA trigger.
To each their own.....my most accurate shooting is done D/A -weak hand.
I quit shooting my D/A S&W's S/A nearly 40 years ago.

I’m the opposite from some of you guys Ive been a revolver guy right from the get go. But just bought my first semi auto a 1911 in 10mm. My revolvers are a 9.5 SRH topped with a leupold that I hunt with, 357 black hawk topped with a ultradot red dot that’s going to my son to hunt with and a lcr 38+p that’s my cc. My wife’s guns GP 100 half lug model 357 topped with a ultradot red dot that she hunts with, lcr38+p and her semi auto a lc380.

My first handgun was a .22 LR clone of a Single Action Army. Many years later, my second handgun was a 1911. The little .22 disappeared during a move many years ago but I still have the 1911, and it has been joined by a couple of other 1011s and a couple of Ruger 60-guns.

I shoot mostly D/A except for a new 629, I can't handle the recoil shooting it D/A. .38. .357, 22, 45 ACP all D/A most of the time. Gonna come up with an accurate 44 Special for the 629 and try D/A again. The guns are just as accurate D/A as S/A, the shooter may not be able to shoot D/A as well as S/A.

Here’s my current three, a Charter Arms On Duty in .38 Special, one of the new Colt Night Cobras, and my newest acquisition, a Taurus 617. Have an LCR 327 on layaway also, but it’ll be a couple more weeks or so before I get it out.

c1dd1fba24d1a06e18fcc1778c54db3d.jpg

8b96ac53f4501293ab29c78cdccbedef.jpg

c64dac67973128009cf3509534fef0ef.jpg

I like revolvers and always have. My first real handgun purchase was a Ruger Blackhawk!

I carry and shoot pistols a lot but I have a good many revolvers. Still Have the Blackhawk and a Redhawk both in .41 Magnum.
I Have three S&W 66's in 2.5",3" and 4". I also have a Model 10 carried by my BIL in his early police days!

My Wife and I each have a 2" snubbie S&W too.

My start in pistol shooting was on a US Navy pistol team; shot 1911 modified by San Diego Marksmanship Unit and S&W model 41. Many years later acquired a S&W mod 13 3 inch barrel and later a mod 686. I actually find the revolvers more enjoyable to shoot, and appreciate ability to use ammo of different power levels. Wife likes the revolvers due to simplicity. Most interesting is that our oldest grandson (now new college student) has always preferred shooting revolvers over SA's.

I started with revolvers, added a semi auto and still shoot both about equal amounts. But I prefer a revolver for fun and accuracy, but stay proficient with semi autos for self defense.

I recently have experienced this same epiphany.

I’ve been shooting 1911’s almost exclusively for the last30 years. 3 weeks ago, I shot a friends 629. I liked it so much I offered to buy it...and he agreed to sell! Last week, my brother gave me a 4” 19 that spent a couple weeks under water after Katrina. It ugly, but still functions smoothly and is accurate... and I’ll pick up my”new” 686 no dash tomorrow. Apparently, I’m in an accumulative mode...lol.

I’m hooked!

I have two guns that almost always go with me to the range...

S&W 686 4" 38/357
S&W 17 6" .22 lr

Only complaint I have is they usually run out of ammo after 6 rds!!!
However, I have no intentions of owning a 7 or 10 shot revolver or anything with a built in lock...Too old for that crap I guess...I prefer the older revolvers (70's 80's mostly) & shoot them double action.
My favorite single action is Ruger Super Black Hawk in 44 mag. 7.5"

Went through the semi-auto stage in my life about 20 years ago when I had to have a Glock & a few others but always enjoy the wheel guns.

I started with revolvers, added a semi auto and still shoot both about equal amounts. But I prefer a revolver for fun and accuracy, but stay proficient with semi autos for self defense.
I carry a revolver for self defense, semis are range toys. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, I do have a Ruger LC9 that I carried some but the 642 is a better carry gun for me.

Back