Shooting Wheel Guns

71Eagle

I was never a real revolver fan although I did have my Dad's Ruger Flatop Blackhawk he bought back in the 1960s. Mostly a 1911, Browning fan. But lately I've kind of come around to wheel guns. I did buy a Mod 19 about 10 years back. My wife bought me a S&W 629 for Christmas 2 years ago (because I didn't have a .44Mag). I have a great handload for it and then I saw a S&W Mod 10, I had been watching reruns of "The Untouchables" and though it was pretty cool. Now my latest one is a Cimarron Conversion and it's a real blast to shoot. (I have a Uberti 1851 Navy C&B blackpowder). The rear sight is a v-notch in the hammer.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of "enlightenment" I've had. Fun shooing!

I was never a real revolver fan although I did have my Dad's Ruger Flatop Blackhawk he bought back in the 1960s. Mostly a 1911, Browning fan. But lately I've kind of come around to wheel guns. I did buy a Mod 19 about 10 years back. My wife bought me a S&W 629 for Christmas 2 years ago (because I didn't have a .44Mag). I have a great handload for it and then I saw a S&W Mod 10, I had been watching reruns of "The Untouchables" and though it was pretty cool. Now my latest one is a Cimarron Conversion and it's a real blast to shoot. (I have a Uberti 1851 Navy C&B blackpowder). The rear sight is a v-notch in the hammer.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of "enlightenment" I've had. Fun shooing!

This is before I acquired 3 more.
f46137a4643210e96f07db098565ece5.jpg

I love revolvers. The beauty of them is that they have more forgiveness for a variety of ammunition loads.

I reload to be able to shoot hollowpoints.

It gets expensive with factory ammunition especially with 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've always liked them. I've tried to keep at least one in the collection. Right now I have 2 Ruger New Model Blackhawks.

Was always a long gun or 1911 guy. Not interested in revolves at all. Then I won a gun at a raffle. Went to gun store and counter guy says you can have the gun or credit towards another purchase.

There sits a Ruger Super Red Hawk 10”. I handle the thing and think let’s try this. Take her Home then out to shoot. That thing goes BOOM!!!

Other guns have come but I’ll always have that SRH because she is too much fun to shoot. Have since added a Dan Wesson 15.

I shot nothing but 1911s for years, even though I had a few revolvers.
All the shooting I do is competition, so I wanted a gun that was "legal" for at least one of the shooting games I play, and I got a Thunder Ranch Model 22.
I was attracted to the blued finish and fixed sights that reminded me of something you'd see on the hip of a motorcycle cop in the '30s-'50s.

Every few years I'll shoot it for an entire season, and while it's humbling, it's also a lot of fun.

I started out with a model 10 in 1975 as a young cop. Though we moved to Glocks after some years, I still enjoy shooting my wheel guns. My neighborhood carry piece on long walks is a 1960's Cobra.

My first center fire gun was an S&W Model 19. Still have it, still shoot it, still keep it by my bedside. Have many more revolvers since. My most current fun to shoot was an LCR in 327 mag, but my wife loved it and snatched it for herself. My "in the safe and will only take out to gloat over" is a Taurus Raging thirty; .30 carbine SA/DA with 10" barrel. That one could be used as a boat anchor because it's so heavy.

I love my revolvers. I currently only have 5. 1 Ruger RedHawk 7", in 44 mag. A Super Redhawk 7" in 454 Casul, scoped. A Ruger Single Six, and a Super Single Six with 22 mag conversion. And a Pietta cap and ball 44 caliber.

I have also had a 10" Super Redhawk in 44 mag, 7" Colt Anaconda 44 mag, and an H&R 9 shot double action revolver. But I can't remember the model on that one. My first revolver was a clone of the peacemaker, made in Germany, also 44 mag. Had a Taurus 605 for a while short little barrel in 357 mag with a 5 shot cylinder. Was pretty snappy in the recoil department.

Hmmm seems I like the 44 mag. Never listed them out like this. Kinda makes me want another one. Maybe a GP 100. Looks like Ruger is high on my list too.:D

This is before I acquired 3 more.
f46137a4643210e96f07db098565ece5.jpg

I love revolvers. The beauty of them is that they have more forgiveness for a variety of ammunition loads.

I reload to be able to shoot hollowpoints.

It gets expensive with factory ammunition especially with 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum.

CDR - Nice collection and nice picture of revolvers there, I have a several but not that many.

I don't know about you but I take pictures like that when the wife is not around, she really wouldn't understand.

I've always been a fan and had a few but my carry guns have drifted away from a SW 637 into a semi auto stable.

Recently however I've been picking up some new and some old Colt revolvers and have really enjoyed shooting them along with my Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero.

I started shooting revolvers 60 plus years ago. didn't really have a semi til mid eighties. Most recently (last 20 or so years) I still shoot revolvers or 1911 guns. I own other semis but I still shoot S&W wheel guns and 1911s.. I do use a Single Six as my "walk around gun".

My first handgun was a revolver. I was just out of high school, found a job but was too young to purchase one. So, I gave money to my dad to buy one for me. It was nice, but I later liked semi-autos because they were more compact. Now, most of my guns are stored away. Thinking about home defense, my revolver seems the safest to have around for that.

CDR - Nice collection and nice picture of revolvers there, I have a several but not that many.

I don't know about you but I take pictures like that when the wife is not around, she really wouldn't understand.

That’s why I don’t have an updated pic with 3 additional revolvers [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Way back in the day, I had always shot revolvers in single action mode and had been a mediocre shot at best with both semis and revolvers. When I started shooting revolvers in DA mode my shooting improved tremendously with both types of firearms. My revelation was that trigger control next to sight picture is king when it comes to shooting accurate.

Is there any other way [besides DA]? ;)
I shoot my 5" 629 classic .44mag exclusively SA. I've got a 3-lb SA trigger on it.

SA doesn't slow me down significantly for followup shots, because I use a VERY relaxed grip, with relaxed and flexed elbows. That results in an almost vertical muzzle rise, and I cock the hammer on the way back down with my weak thumb. With only 6 shots, I don't want to spend them very fast anyway. My objective is to only need one shot.

Way back in the day, I had always shot revolvers in single action mode and had been a mediocre shot at best with both semis and revolvers. When I started shooting revolvers in DA mode my shooting improved tremendously with both types of firearms. My revelation was that trigger control next to sight picture is king when it comes to shooting accurate.
If your accuracy in DA was better than in SA, you were almost certainly flinching the SA shots. With no flinch, SA is much more accurate than DA, unless you are willing to take all day pulling the DA trigger.

My first quality handgun was a Ruger S-6 , my first quality CF was a Ruger SBH and while still in high school had at least one of every Ruger SA. During this time I also went through 1911s, P38s, Brn HPs, Lugers and a raft of DA service type revolvers. I switched to S&W revolvers and traded off most of the Rugers. Then got into target autos in 70s in Rf & CF. Now for last 35 yrs back to S&W revolvers. Only blue / adj sight models and mostly P&R era.I only have 4 cf auto and 7 Rf autos, and presently looking for a plain Jane 1911 for carry. All my keeper S&Ws are 6-83/8 guns and only Cf auto I have that is not a target gun is a PP .32. I find that revolvers are more useful as field and target guns than autos.

I had the same "enlightenment" from the very beginning. My first gun (1983 - 21 years old) was a Python. My next three were Smith revolvers. I still have them all. I have a good number of hand guns; but revolvers still hold the majority.

P.S. I shoot double action - always.

Back