Shooting under stress. What I've learnt.

I'm not suggesting that YOU were unsafe -- just that the course design perhaps could've been better thought out.

I realise that wasn't the point being made and am happy for that, but I can't say the course in and of itself was not unsafe or ill-thought, just inconvenient.

Perhaps there is an aspect I am over-looking but that is my take on it having run the course. The RO did make a point of reminding competitors of the need to keep the barrel down range.

Had I kept my thumb down against the grip, the stage would have finished badly better. I did not even consciously move it and that is what will need work.

The safety is also very easy to flip. I don't know if that is a good thing or not on a gun, but I can now see why some people prefer not to have them and consider them a liability.

All the same I'm quite happy with my overall position considering the standard of the other shooters. :D

Last edited:
Competition is competition, whether or not a course of fire is poorly thought out. All competitors are fighting the problem, so poor performance is not the fault of the course. As on a cold and rainy day, both football teams are competing on the same field.

I'm having trouble envisioning any stage design requiring such action as you describe.
You were required to move to the rear, your back to down range, with the gun pointed down range, over your shoulder?
Gun arm wrapped around your neck?
Very strange.
Must have looked like a Gene Kelly dance move.
Did you pass up targets and then go back up range to engage them?
Just curious, is all.

It was a stage where the competitor had to start with feet touching marks on the boundary line facing a plate, activating a partial comstock (obscured by a no-shoot), two full comstocks and another partial.

At the start the shooter had to draw, load a mag, load the chamber and engage all comstocks twice, with a hit to the plate to access one of them. From there there was a straight path away from those targets that the shooter had to proceed down before engaging a final comstock target tucked behind hard cover.

So for that final target you run to the end of the hard cover lean around it and put two on the target about 3ft away. Some turned to their right to run back, putting the gun over the shoulder, others left with their strong arm pointing straight behind them. In all cases the barrel is down range. The only downside with turning left was that this meant an awkward move to shoot that last target if you didn't want to sweep outside the safety angles and get a DQ.

Thanks, got it - maybe.
Sounds like a weird arrangement, though.
By comstock, are you referring to a type of target, or the comstock scoring method (score/time=hit factor) on the IPSC target?
Also known on this side as the Turtle.
We mostly still use the old style, that loosely resembles a humanoid outline.

Back