Shooting the big iron - Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon

.45 Dragoon (Mike) wrote:
" The width of the oval bolt will allow it to work with the rectangular notches. (One of my two converted 1sts still has the oval bolt.)"

Yep, that's what HoofHearted private messaged me too.

.45 Dragoon (Mike) wrote:
"If you want to put a Walker cyl. on a 2nd or 3rd, you just need to shape (reduce the length of) the bolt head to fit the oval notches. Mike"

That makes sense, and is good to know if one already has a 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon they decide to put a Walker percussion cylinder on.

But it also makes sense to me, that if one knows ahead of time, that they are going to put a Walker oval stops percussion cylinder on a Dragoon they haven't bought yet, it also makes sense to just buy a 1st model Dragoon that already has the same oval bolt that the Walker percussion cylinder takes.

Yap, you're right about making sense!
Of course a lot of folks like the 3rd for the rounded TG. The good thing is you can "knock the corners off" of the 3rds bolt head and fit a Walker or a Walker/Kirst cyl.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

I've been watching different auctions for 1st model Dragoons. One thing I don't get, is why I see some actual modern Colt 1st model Dragoons (actually modern repros marked as if made by Colt with the rearing Stallion), that some of them have the rounded top grips like the Walker, and then some of the same modern made Colt 1st model Dragoons (again also marked as if made by Colt with the rearing Stallion) also have the squared top grips. What's up with that? Anyone know?

Is it because they aren't really made by Colt, and Colt is using different U.S. or Italian companies to make their supposedly "true Colts" and thus some companies make them with the rounded top grips and some make them with the squared top grips even though they are all supposedly supposed to be true copies of the original Colt 1st model Dragoon? Is that it? That is messed up if that is the case and Colt is allowing that to happen with their name on it. When one buys what is marked as a "Colt" with the rearing Stallion and thinks they are getting an accurate to the original 1st model Dragoon reproduction, there shouldn't be both rounded top and squared top different versions of grips right?

I see doing the mod if you have one of the older Ubertis and the loading lever drops but mine I just bought it last year has never come loose and I regularily shoot it with 50 grains of pyrodex.

Bill,
The reason is , there are two 1st Mod. Dragoons. The Whitneyville Dragoon (my fav.) is the " in-between" Dragoon. It has the Walker frame ( trig. and bolt screw pins aren't drilled all the way through) and thus the grip as well. This is also the rarest of the Dragoons.
The true 1st Mod.(1848's) has the new grip and the Walker sized frame has both screw pins drilled through.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

"Hartcreek wrote:
"I see doing the mod if you have one of the older Ubertis and the loading lever drops but mine I just bought it last year has never come loose and I regularily shoot it with 50 grains of pyrodex."

Hi Hartcreek. My thoughts on doing the mod of putting a Walker cylinder on a Dragoon, were not just because of the problem with the loading lever on the Walker dropping upon firing. That was part of it, but mainly I was interested in doing a mod like that to decrease the weight of the flat area on the Walker's barrel to the less long and less heavy flat area of the flats of the Dragoon's barrel, coupled with the lighter weight and handier shorter barrel of the Dragoon.

Last edited:
.45 Dragoon wrote:
Bill,The reason is , there are two 1st Mod. Dragoons. The Whitneyville Dragoon (my fav.) is the " in-between" Dragoon. It has the Walker frame ( trig. and bolt screw pins aren't drilled all the way through) and thus the grip as well. This is also the rarest of the Dragoons.
The true 1st Mod.(1848's) has the new grip and the Walker sized frame has both screw pins drilled through.
Mike"

Thanks Mike, that explains that. I also like the looks of the Whitneyville Dragoon best too. I didn't know there were two different versions of the 1st model Dragoon. Thanks very much for that info.

I shut my store down. I have a 3rd colt dragoon-#222+/- sig series by colt gold and silver. I think its a 3rd model but will have to check. Never been fired-who wants it--bhardy360@aol.com It was a marine edition. Whitneyville $700 has original uncracked box with white shipping box. The wedge on left and some screws have been polished to where gold plating is showing just the silver plating. I know only 800 or so were made and retailed for over $800. But they are now out of production. Good collectible or shooter

Ok cheapos-ha--650 I forgot how to upload pics on this thread but email me i'll send pics---Hey--I'm gonna shoot it if I don't get you to buy this unfired.

Back