Shooting the 454 Alaskan

The longer 6" barrel boosts muzzle energy into the mid-700 range.

I'm getting 761 foot pounds ME with Buffalobore's 180 keith hardcasts in my 4" Ruger security six: 180 grain at 1380 fps = 761 # according to shooter's calculator website.

HVR,
That’s a good example of what a heavy for caliber bullet can do from a relatively short barrel, and Buffalo Bore uses flash-retardant powders in many of their loadings. Also, don’t wanna start another .357 VS 10mm comparison / debate. But remember, your 1.6” cylinder, when combined with a 4” barrel, equals 5.6” of total tube length.

* * * But remember, your 1.6” cylinder, when combined with a 4” barrel, equals 5.6” of total tube length.

Worth highlighting because it's a ballistic point that always gets lost in wheelgun v. autoloader debates.

So the 6.2" length of factory barrel in my long-slide G40 includes in that measurement the chamber, which the 10mm bullet does not traverse as it heads toward the muzzle ... whereas the 4" Ruger revolver has an actual 4" of rifled barrel which the bullet traverses, gaining velocity before exiting the muzzle ...

So how much actual rifled 'barrel' is left to work the bullet in the G40 when you back out the length of the chamber? Similarly, how much from the 4.6" barrel of a G20?

Apples to apples makes for more credible comparisons.

I had a glock 20 for my woods carry, but sold it, and now I will find another one!LOL
I stocked up on some of the BB 10mm outdoorsman loads so I'm good to go. 220 grain 10mm loads? Are they longer OAL than normal?

Some years ago...I read a news story: That if you take a shot at a bear that has invaded your tent, with a full house 454 load from a pistol, without wearing hearing protection while being in the same tent --- You will go deaf --- Whether the deafness is permanent or not --- I don't know.

Better deaf than dead

Yup, but if ol yogi is chewing on my leg or about to my ears are the least of my worries.
He was just looking for picinic baskets anyway.

Wow, now do yourself a favor and try a full charge of unique. It will probably be competitive for speed out of such a short barrel. Slow powders in short barrels have more bark than it's worth. rc

Back