Shooting Techniques Against Multiple Opponents

I keep seeing references to Hackathorn's drill, remember in the drill the targets were not moving. Real people move. If it takes you 1.5 seconds to draw, shoot and hit Bad Guy #1, what are BG#2 and BG#3 doing. They aren't just going to stand there and wait for you to shoot them. If they began rushing towards you as you iniated your drawstroke, they are going to be way closer than when the scenario started.

As has already been said, there are no hard and fast rules, particularly in dynamic situations, and I think three guys trying to kill you qualifies as "dynamic", but I tend to fall back on "boarding house rules". Everyone gets firsts before anybody gets seconds.

Gomez

Greetings Gents,

This issue of multiple adversaries is sometimes a confusing one. This is such because much of the "doctrine" for it has been developed on the firing range and not in the real world. The firing range is after all, only a simulation of reality, and not reality itself. First of all, forget the clock. The clock has its use in the development of skills and attributes, but it has nothing to do with anything else. Second, stop thinking of "targets" and begin thinking of "adversaries".

With a multiple adversary scenario there are two different situations. One is the multiple sequential adversaries problem. FWIW, I've been in two Multiple Sequential Adversary confrontations. The other is the multiple simultaneous adversaries problem.

In truth, with multiple simultaneous adversaries, (of assumed equal skill to you), and where you all go to guns at the same time, you will probably get shot. There are things you can do to mitigate the danger (although you will not eliminate it).

One is to move. In our courses we take multiple simultaneous adversaries on the move. To stand still ("plant your feet, face downrange.....etc.) is silly.

Two is to use the environment and any available distractions to forestall the attack of one or more adversaries while you mount your own attack.

Three is to "Line 'em up". Move so you have them more in line than accross your field of fire. Anyone who has trained in combatives and run through multiple man sparring knows that lining them up makes things easier for you. The situation is the same here.

Four is to Shoot 'em to the ground. Your magazine has anywhere between seven to seventeen rounds. Use them all if needed and then reload. Do not be stingy with your ammo in a situation like this.

Now to the second type of Multiple Adversary Problem - Multiple Sequential Adversaries. This means one-after-the-other, as opposed to all-at-once. With these the same process you use for a single adversary will do, but you will simply face the need to be able to disengage from one to other as he appears. The key point here is that YOU OFTEN DO NOT KNOW there are others in the fight.

As far as who you hit first and how many times and all that stuff - My Rule of Thumb is to go to the man who is most visually focused on you at the moment of contact. His reaction time will be less than the others and he is thus most dangerous (regardless of weapons).

Two shots - one shot - pattern, etc.?? At my last course taught in L.A. (Combative Pistol Concepts I) we had a long discussion about this. I took to students and had them face a row of targets. Shooter A had three targets and he was going to fire two round bursts on each. Shooter A represented the unfortunate individual who is suddenly confronted with hree adversaries, two of which may not be specifically focused on his presence. Shooter B had one single target. He represented the third adversary of a bad guy trio. His objective was to simply hit that target as fast as he could when he first heard shooter one's gunfire (I even let him point shoot if he wanted to).

The results? Shooter two always shot his target before shooter one ever even got to his third target. When we changed shooter A's mission to fire one shot on each, he beat shooter B 80% of the time. If we add the issue of movement, it was clear that such an engagement was only winnable by shooter A, but decisively so.

Bottom line, multiple adversary situations can be divided into Simultaneous or Sequential. Simultaneous ones are very difficult to win and very dangerous. That said, there are things you can do to minimize the danger and survive...even win one of these. But first, think of the targets not as "targets" but as equally trained men who are just as dangerous as you are...maybe more so.

Cheers,

Gabe Suarez
Suarez International Training Academy
http://www.suarezinternational.com

Back