Shooting technique with Laser Sight

I don't like lasers because I have to track the dot, and it's easy to lose. I'd rather stick to a reflex or holo sight.

Aside from that, yes, steady position and good trigger squeeze always count, even with a laser. Magic bullet will always hit the red dot..... but be sure you're non-magical breathing and fingers didn't accidentally move said red dot as you were firing said magic bullet.

Personally I absolutely love lasers. They are not a "crutch". They are a completely different way of aiming a firearm. You can do things with them that you could never do with iron sights or a red dot sight.

For example if you were taking cover behind a rock a lot of people will say that a laser will give away your position. Well the chances are if you're in a life and death struggle with a bad guy they already have a pretty good idea where you are anyway especially at handgun distances. I can take my laser and hold it around one side of a big rock and look around another side of the big rock. In effect I can fool a BG about my exact location and I can still fire accurately from that position. I might get my hand shot but that's far better than getting my head shot. And I can fire off hand with my weak hand. A laser gives me a far more flexible way to aim in quite a few ways actually. Plus I can fool a BG by bouncing a laser off of glass and making him think I am aiming directly at him.

There are just many, many advantages of using a laser. I don't think anyone should avoid learning to shoot with iron sights. Heavens no. I think a person should learn to shoot with irons, with a laser and by just point shooting. And for the record green lasers are a lot more affordable than they were a few years ago. You might not be able to use them in very bright sunlight but you can use them in daylight often. If it's an overcast day or it's raining they work pretty well.

Plus I can use a laser to practice point shooting. I sit around the living room and practice this method pretty often. I try to point shoot my pistol at a particular target then I turn on the laser to see how close I came to hitting what I was aiming for. Spending a few minutes a day doing this will greatly improve your point shooting ability without having to fire a lot of ammo.

I've been shooting for 48 years. I started using lasers about 20 years ago. I've done some amazing things with lasers that I could never have done without them. I've shot bats flying through the air with a .22 rifle shooting from the hip. Bats are very difficult to shoot but a laser makes the process much easier. And if you get a bat nest in your chimney you can expect bats to attack you eventually. They are very protective of their nests at times and they do carry rabies. Ordinarily I like bats because they eat mosquitoes but I don't like having them next in my chimney. They do it in the summer when you aren't using the chimney so there is no smoke to drive them out. They can clog your chimney too and possibly start a chimney fire. And if you do try to smoke them out you could really see a lot of aggressive actions from the bats.

I really wish more lasers had touch pad on/off switches like I've had on several .22's. I still have a .22 with a laser mounted on it for night time varmint control. I also have a laser on my CCW pistol just in case. It's a very light laser and it keeps zero permanently apparently. I have never had to zero it again after the first time. I had to modify my holster slightly but it wasn't that hard.

I have been thinking about buying a green laser for one of my backup CCW pistols. I was hoping to order one very soon in fact. They do make a useful addition to a handgun or a short range rifle like a .22. There is a definite limit on how far they are effective. They can't match the range of a .22 rifle or even come close to it. But for shooting running animals in low light (I always make sure I know where I'm shooting and what's behind what I'm shooting at) or for shooting BG's in dark conditions a laser can make the job much, much easier. A person always has to be sure of their target but where I live that really isn't all that hard. And if you put a laser on a .22 semi auto you can drive off a whole pack of feral dogs or coyotes or whatever.

My most frequent use of a laser mounted pistol is varmint control after dark(usually on the deck). With the laser, all I have to do is open the door far enough to reach outside. I don't have to actually step out, just get my wrist past the door. This is the ultimate use for a laser sight since you don't have to be behind the gun at all. Also have used this shooting varmints while holding a light with other hand-no need to have the light glaring off the sights to make the shot.
My opinion is experience with this sort of handgun use will gain you more skill than many of the contrived "scenarios" described on TV, in books, and by the "experts". Nothing like aiming and shooting a bobbing and weaving possum in the dark for practice.

you've got your front sight right there in your face already, and won't have to go looking for it.

So why put that doodad on there in the first place? Front sight, press. No looking for anything.

Initially, I used the laser more or less as a substitute for the front sight, thus I framed the laser dot within the posts of the rear sight much as though it were the front sight.

I think the whole point of the laser is that the bullet goes where the dot shines, so you don't have to worry about whether the dot is between the sights or not. It sounds as if you eventually came to that realization.

I have trained with laser sights before. I also have one on my pellet rifle for use when there is not enough light to use the sights on it. Helps to take care of pesky varmints quiet like. I keep my head so that I am not looking at the sights at all. I look for the laser, and track its movement. With handguns they are great if you are pinned behind cover to help you minimize exposing yourself.

I remeber the video lasermax had on their site of the Houston PD officer used one effectively.

Back