Shooting Range On My Property

If they (insurance company) don't ask, you don't tell. But if they ask, you will have to tell. Or they can deny your claim. It will be worse than not having the policy.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thallub beat me to "an Umbrella" policy.

We added this to our USAA homeowner policy about 27 years ago, simply to help defend against any frivolous attempt to hit us.

Last edited:
As I understand the law in my county in Missouri, as long as the projectile does not cross your property line it is legal. I do agree with the don't ask don't tell recommendation. If the range existed when you bought the property I'm guessing the neighbors won't complain.

Copied from #6-
""If you're wondering why lead shot is banned for waterfowl, the science part is because waterfowl EAT IT, and their systems grind up the shot into powder that digestive acids can dissolve and enter the bloodstream. The rest of the reason it's banned is political. ""

A couple ducks may have died from lead poisoning, not near as many that have been wounded by inferior steel shot.
As for people dying-dont happen as many above have stated.

Thank you for your input everyone!
I called the state agency for water quality and they said it is extremely rare for the lead problems to result from lead actually being in the water source. It comes from corrosive water that leeches lead (and copper) from the pipes. The lady mentioned Flint, MI as an example. They had good water and no lead poisoning. They switched water sources due to "cost," and people can't take showers in the stuff.
The well tests passed with flying colors!

I would be more worried about a shotgun range spreading lead over a wide area than a berm catching bullets. The lead contamination is very limited and localized and should not be a problem as long as you are not digging the berm with your hands and licking your fingers afterwards.

Back