Shooting percussion is not cheap anymore

Grandma's Squirrel Meat Gravy

Years ago Backwoods Home magazine ran an article that described a form of diy gun powder composec of potassium nitrate from the chicken run, sugar, and powderdd rust. The article is available online.

I have not tried it yet, but I found out the nitrate can be purchased at the pharmacy.
High grade rust can be purchased as red paint pigment labeled as ferrous oxide.
Sugar is sugar.

YMMV

How much $$ one can save making their own Black. Depends on where you buy your supplies. But on average its runs about 2.50 to $3.00 a lb. Some chemical dealers even offer discounts. The more you buy the cheaper their chemicals cost.
It really isn't hard to make. There are two method's that I know of. (Wet or Ball rolling.) Either way of doing require a progression of steps in its making needing to be followed exactly in proper order.

Only difference between homemade and store bought is in their metering. Homemade is lighter in weight than store because it hasn't been coated with graphite or whatever. Thus your going to use more homemade powder in a Charge because of its fluffy-ness so to speak. When compared to a store bought powders Charge. {You'll notice the difference in amounts.} So its best to scale weigh at first until you get accustom to using.

As with any powders use. Homemade B/P does require some tweaking up or down its (amount.) Being necessary to get the results you want.
If you intend to shoot B/P pistol. Homemade requires it being lightly dampened than pressed into disks dried than broken or ground down into small pieces and screened to desired kernel size. But homemade shot out of a rifle only requires it being dampened than forced through a screen to size wanted (2-FF or 3-FFF) and dried.

Where many people get confused is in its charcoal. Black Willow charcoal ground into a fine dust or (air float) as its called is the Gold standard for good rifle powder.
FWIW: If someone happens to live in a apartment building. I wouldn't suggest B/P being made.

robhof

Graphite was indeed added to resist static ignition and to slicken the powder for consistent pouring.

Static ignition of homemade. That would be an excellent question posed to either Hawg Haggen Pahoo or Captchee. And perhaps a few of those other OLD guys well versed in such matters.:D

The "g" in FFg and FFFg stands for glazed. Unglazed powders are just FF or FFF.
Glazed powders are graphite coated.

I have read accounts of the commercial manufacture of black powder. They compress the slightly damp powder into dense bricks using tons of pressure. The bricks are then broken up with a burr grinder and the pieces are screened into different powder granulation sizes by being sifted through sizing screens.
Most of this is done in unmanned buildings using machines that are operated by remote control.

The "g" in FFg and FFFg stands for glazed. Unglazed powders are just FF or FFF.
Glazed powders are graphite coated.

Not just graphite coated. The grains are tumbled with it to round the edges. This helps the grains look pretty and pour more easily.

I am retired and have plenty of spare time. Every month i pick up lead people save for me wheel weights and dental film lead. For wads i buy old wool cowboy hats at the flea market for a few dollars and punch my own with a cheap harbor fright punch set. I lube them with my wife's olive oil. I just started making my own powder. It is not only a lot cheaper i really like it. I am still buying caps but i got my tap a cap out and i am working with them. I am very close to having a good home made caps. After you make black powder you test it by making line and lighting it. My home made powder does not light any easier than kick powder. One nice thing about making powder i don't have buy large amounts to get a good price and then have to store it. I can just make it as i need it.

Modernhiogleg . . . . "sugar is sugar"

Geeze . . . the next thing you know, you guys will be hoarding sugar to make your homemade BP . . . which will cause a shortage and put a crimp in making the "corn squeezings" . . . :D:eek:

Saying "sugar is sugar" is a little like saying "alcohol is alcohol".
Lactose, dextrose, maltose, sucrose, fructose, glucose....

I have heard that some of the commercial black powder substitutes are sugar based, though what exactly is in Shocky's Gold, 777, etc is propriety information.
I'm not sure if I want anything like iron rust as an oxidizer in my gun barrel. Look up thermite on u-tube. (mixture of powdered aluminum and iron rust).

I need to buy some 777 to play with it. From what i have heard you don't need lube with sugar based powders.

I'm not sure if I want anything like iron rust as an oxidizer in my gun barrel. Look up thermite on u-tube. (mixture of powdered aluminum and iron rust).

I wouldnt want thermite in the same COUNTY as my gun, much less IN it! :eek:

re shooting not cheap anymore

I realize this may not be the right spot so forgive me.
But I want to help keep this sport as reasonably priced as possibly.
I have access to some wholesale accounts.
I can not always beat the big boy prices, and sometimes shipping does raise prices higher than your local stores.
I am just one small person so I do get behind.
But when you need something, please just PM me.
I will see if I can help you out.
I have or have access to most every accessory you might need and am now starting to stock a few internal pieces for pietta / traditions. cva revolvers
I don't have deep pockets so can't stock every thing.
I try to ship within 24 hr and use USPS flat rate almost exclusively as it is insured and tracked. Most times if a a package is over 4 oz the flat rate might be cheaper.
No haz mat stuff don't have time.
I will be returning to work this summer as it appears, about a 100 mile from home, so ordering and shipping may be slowed somewhat.
Thanks for your patience and understanding (about this post) and for past orders.

Back