Shooting Patch Lube ?

ConRich

I've decided to make some shooting patches, but need to make a suitable lube.

I have some Gatofeo which would be too stiff, so I'm wondering if I could thin it down with something ,......any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Rich

Hawg

Did you mean that you use olive oil to thin the Gatofeo, or that you use straight olive oil ?

Thank you,
Rich

I gotta make some of that UglyCat lube...
If only to have a container of it on the mantelpiece as a conversation starter.
Gat_O_SM3.jpg

Thanks Hawg, that takes all the voo-do out of it, and I have plenty of olive oil.
Oh, would I get tighter groups if I used extra virgin ?

Thanks,
Rich

Forgot mine one musket season and used buttery crisco in camp to grease my 54 Hawken’s patch & took a deer with it that morning-mmmm good.

You can use any of todays marketed cooking oils. Olive oil doesn't have any special patching qualitys over all the other cooking oils other than it will spoil sooner. Thus the need for a Patching grease cover up scent. i.e. (stinker clinker wintergreen.)

I seldom use scented patch lubes myself. Although I've been toying with the idea of using a little Anisette mixed in my Mink Oil patch lube. I find licorice more appealing to the senses of a human & animal than that stinker clinker scent called wintergreen. Ever wonder why so many squirrels bark at humans moving about with B/P firearms? Its the smell of wintergreen that's up-setting em!!

Remember most animals only have Black & White vision but oh so many have a overwhelmingly good smell-er of a nose.

Simple Green solution works well for me, and also a number of other BP patch & ball shooters on our range as well.

mehavey -

Just lightly spritz the patch with Simple Green solution --- undiluted or diluted with water.

Lubes the bore --- and cleans as it travels down the pipe.

I started out using slobber. I would chipmonk some patches (put them in my mouth chipmonk style). They would dry my mouth out something terrible so I tried chewing tobacco and that made me slobber too much. Quit doing that and used crisco to prelube patches. Bore butter gets used now.

Just lightly spritz the patch with Simple Green solution ...
When shooting silhouette I'd see one or two other guys doing that.
Never tried it myself as I either shoot ticking/spit patch (at the range),
and/or ticking/dried-out 7:1 water/NAPA cutting oil in the field.

Guess I now have something new to fool round with....;)

mehavey -

After each shot: Besides the occasional BP bore brush...I use a cotton flannel patch spritzed with Simple Green --- Send the patch once to an fro down the bore, turn patch over --- repeat --- then use a dry patch.

For final cleaning after shooting session: Simple Green in hot water pot suction bore cleaning. Then boiling water rinse-out, three dry patches --- let dry --- then oil down.

Last edited:
Go cheap but consistant !!!

I've decided to make some shooting patches, but need to make a suitable lube.
The list of "suitable" patch lubricant is endless. To me, the most important point is that there is not petrochemical products in the mix. Any grade of olive oil, is suitable and can be used to thin down denser waxes. Olive oil has a higher temp rating. If you know a butcher, get some animal Tallow. That is fat from the internal cavity of an animal that has to be renderd down. Keep in mind that any natural fat or oils can get rancid so a little scented oil is added to make it more pleasant to work with. ..... :cool:

One shooting buddy uses bacon and other greases from meat .... and swears by it

Another shooting buddy uses straight spit. .... and swears by it.

Go cheap, have fun and;
Be Safe !!!

Back