Shooting Glock with plated bullets = jam?

MuzzleBlast

Glock newby here. I bought a bunch of plated 9mm bullets, and I recently bought a Glock 17 5th gen. I have been getting weird stoppages, and what I think might be happening is the Glock chamber step is shaving copper from the bullets enough to cause a jam. After ~100 rounds the copper forms a booger that eventually traps a round from chambering. The slide is very hard to retract when this happens.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Does it even sound like something that could happen?

Anything can happen, but I have only ever shot copper-washed ammo thru my Glocks and have had one feed failure during a match which I put that down to how we drop magazines onto a cement floor, or into the dirt.

Probably over 10,000 rds of Blazer Brass at the range, and about 1,000 of another brand we use for matches.

I don't think I've ever seen 9mm that wasn't copper-washed, but I am sure it is out there.

Probably depends on the bullets. The absolute worst case of leading I've ever had was from plated bullets (not in a Glock). The lead was dead soft and the plating was very thin.

What you're describing could happen under the same general circumstances, I suppose.

I'd suspect overall length or even other factors regarding the cartridges the bullets loaded into.
Try a good, brand-name, factory loading first, while also comparing all dimensional specifications (e.g. OAL, diameter, amount of crimping, case quality).
Also, the powder load, is another factor, which might result in the slide not fulling cycling back, then less than a full cycle forward.

There are often folks who have more faith in their (re)loads as that ammo previously worked well in other guns. One good thing about loading-one's-own ammo is the ability to make changes to the loading to adapt the ammo to the gun(s). Ive even seen a shooter bring his reloading equipment out to the range with him, to make whatever changes to get whatever results he wanted, whether accuracy, velocity, crimping, or all the above.

Just my thoughts on the issue from the few posts in this thread and without actually being "there" to see this possible debris in the barrel/chamber.

Factory ammo, or hand loads. Where is the copper building up? The start of the chamered, the sides of the chamber, or right near the rifling?

I reload plated bullets for my 5th gen g19 with no issue.

Last edited:
Are you cleaning at all...a thousand rounds without running a brush through the bore is expecting a lot...even with Glock perfection I'd guess. Rod

Are you cleaning at all...a thousand rounds without running a brush through the bore is expecting a lot...even with Glock perfection I'd guess. Rod
I don't think its cleaning. OP said the copper itself builds up enough to cause the stoppage around the 100 rnd mark.

I would look closely at the rounds and the bullets - pull a couple.
Check for damage to the plating in the loading process; there may be loose copper on the rounds going into the chamber.

I have a Glock 17 Gen 5 that eats anything I put in it, including my plated reloads. Where did you get the plated bullets ? Are they somebody's reloads? Bullet profile can make a big difference in some guns. Try another brand of bullets, then you'll know....

Glock newby here. I bought a bunch of plated 9mm bullets, and I recently bought a Glock 17 5th gen. I have been getting weird stoppages, and what I think might be happening is the Glock chamber step is shaving copper from the bullets enough to cause a jam. After ~100 rounds the copper forms a booger that eventually traps a round from chambering. The slide is very hard to retract when this happens.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Does it even sound like something that could happen?
Does the firearm shoot jacketed ammo ok?

Pulled from pubic user profile.

when this thread was created......
hoping the OP comes back....
I'm back!
The bullets are from Anatolian Arms. My HiPower gobbles them like jellybeans.
My next move is to bite the bullet and buy some quality factory FMJ ammo. But if Glocks are this picky about what you feed them, color me unimpressed.

Personally I would be looking at the ammo not the gun. It's great it runs in your hi-power. With that said I have run plated bullets in no less than 6 different firearms, of which 1 was a 5th gen g19. My g19 has run numerous ammos without issue including hand loads. It's not picky unless you put in terrible quality ammo or under powered hand loads.

I took a quick browse on the ammo website. They list "round nose" and "fmj" but don't specify whether the round nose is plated. They also don't list velocities. The new fmj look decent, the re-man "round nose" look pretty rough as a shooter/reloader.

They also have a recall on some 9mm re-man ammo
https://www.anatolianarms.com/recall-notice-for-lot-0331202111556exrev/

Last edited:
At least 200K plated bullets through my Glocks, never had a problem.

First I have heard of Anatolian Arms. But I'd be looking hard at the bullet, not the pistol.

MuzzleBlast....But if Glocks are this picky about what you feed them, color me unimpressed.
Glocks are undoubtedly one of the least picky handguns ever made. Their reliability is legendary.

Maybe you should wonder why your ammunition doesn't work in one of the most popular handguns on the market.;)

The bullets are from Anatolian Arms.
Never heard of her.

I have a strong suspicion that the bullets are oversized.....and not being jacketed means lead gets shaved.

Ammo

Sounds like an ammo problem to me. Remanufactured ammo? Sounds like they didn't get the crimp right or slugs over sized. Many of my reloads through my Glocks using Barry's plated, no problem.

Back