Shooting bag needs filled?

blackswamp

Inactive
I got a new front shooting rest & the bag needs filled. Do I use just regular play sand or is there something else that I can use.

Thanks
Jeff

Sinclair sells sand that works very well for filling bags. From my experience, play sand is too fine and migrates around so it loses the ability to keep the bag in position and upright. Sinclair's black sand keeps the bag more solid and stable, IMO.
The white play sand isn't bad to fill the rabbit ears, but it doesn't work as well for the body of the bag.

I use Protektor bags and even though they are solid in the body, the play sand doesn't keep them stable enough to maintain their position.

Take a zip-lock bag the same size as your shooting bag and fill with play sand , then stick it in your shooting bag. I done that four years ago and hasn't leaked yet.

I use my old walnut and corn cob media . My lgs guy told that's what he did . Holds its shape pretty good and it's not to heavy.

I use play sand and, depending on the type of use...heavy target benchrest, or hunting rifle, the bags are filled. Benchrest bags are very hard, packing the sand in tightly.

My hunting rifle bags are filled to mimic the texture of a human hand...somewhat looser.

My gunsmith put me onto using cheap non-clumping cat litter. Sand compresses until you might as well rest the gun on a rock. A bag filled with cheap cat litter stays soft so the gun won't shoot away from the bag and hit higher than it would off your palm. He also suggested cutting off old pant legs, sewing up one end, filling with litter, then sewing up the other end. The bags work great.

I use my old walnut and corn cob media . My lgs guy told that's what he did . Holds its shape pretty good and it's not to heavy.

This. Works perfectly.
Sand is too dense IMO. It would be fine for a front bag (which I don't use) but not a rear bag. Too difficult to get it to "flow" and move where I need it when forming the bag with my left hand under the rifle. Guess I use the rear bag differently than everyone else- I grip it and apply pressure where needed to get the rifle on target.

Last edited:
Some guys like sand blasting grit. It is very sharp, resisting movement better than play sand.

I don't tend to pinch bags much anymore. Using an vertical and horizontal adjustable front rest and the rear screw of the tripod gives me the repeatable condition for rimfire benchrest.

For centerfire hunting rifles, I often grip the forend and pull back on it.

"cut off sleeve on long sleeve undershirt wire tie fill with beach sand and wire tie other side"

Blue jeans are much more substantial but I really prefer lead shot bags.

My old Bulls Bag is filled with tumbler media, works great and easy to carry around. Also 3 or 4 lead shot bags filled with same stuff.

No beaches near you? Even though buying a bag of sand is cheap, it's free at a beach. Plan 'B' is a bag of cat litter. Or just take the bag with you a fill it with range dirt/sand.

Without over complicating things, I suggest you use any available DRY sand to fill your bags. Suit your needs by experimenting with just how full/tight you want them to be.

JIMHO...

I'm on board with cat litter. Weighs less than sand. My Uncle Buds Bull Bag has been trouble free for 2 years now and gets a lot of use.

Back