Shoot better with one hand?

Yeah

Kraig: Great post.
See my PM. Time limits in ISU rapid...did they change them when they moved away from .22 Shorts?
The "weird" pistol - a Free Pistol - still the long, slow event. It is one of two Olympic Pistol events, the other being rapid fire (which despite the changes is still a game of tens and x's.)
Pete

...did they change them when they moved away from .22 Shorts?

I've heard they did do away with 22 shorts, (though I havent seen the rules). I too old and slow for that game any more, not that I was ever good at it.

I bet the score dropped since they outlawed 22 shorts. But then again they do it with center fire pistols, some sort of weird 32 shorts. I used a Model 52 Smith, waaaay too much recoil.

I'd like to practice ISU again, but there arn't any turning targets around here.

International Rapid fire Seperates the men from the boys, that's for sure.

I stand corrected (thanks to Darkdael).

ISU Rapid fire is 8-6-4 seconds, not the 7-5-3 that I posted.

It's been a while since I shoot ISU pistol.

Speaking from personal experience, once a fellow gets to a certain age the farther away that front sight gets, the more clearly he can see it. Shooting with one hand provides that important additional distance.

Also, it gets the gun closer to the target. [joke]

I can shoot just as well one handed with my handguns if the gun is the right weight. Browning Hi Power or CZ 85 B I shoot fine one handed. Too light and I don't have the trigger control mastered.

scores

I bet the score dropped since they outlawed 22 shorts.
I don't believe that there was much change. Remember what happened with International Trap (Bunker Trap). They lightened the shot load to make it harder and scores went up.
About SD "practice"......the only really good practice is a gunfight. The whole idea of life and death riding on the outcome makes all the difference in the world as to a shooter's ability to function. I understand that the concept of practice is to instill automatic function and muscle memory but one wonders (having never been in a gunfight) what effect the mind has on all of that when there is real money on the table and the stakes are high.
Pete

Back