shoot better with 1 hand-whats wrong

KYO

I also noticed that I ducked my head down and changed that the last time I posted the 97 on the slow fire. raising my head seemed to take the strain out of my eyes. Ducking you are sort looking up at an extreme angle.

Shot again tuesday

I missed the July5th match but last night on the first run I shot a 273. I really watched the front sight.
The second go around I lost it again and shot a 221
I surmise I have to find a way to keep my concentration and watch for the
muzzle flash -EVERY TIME I SHOULD SEE IT. More dry firing-this really works,
on to next Tuesday.
Thanks for the help everyone

I shoot the smallest groups one-handed, mostly because the rear sight is father away from my old eyes and both front and rear sights are less fuzzy. However, if I must shoot accuately and quickly, then two hands are better than one.

For paper punching, you are shooting for a very small X-ring, and even 'rapid fire' is dead slow. In self defense, the target (COM or head) is huge compared to a paper target's X-ring, and time becomes a matter of life and death.

Every time I shoot. I usually save 150rds, 50 for one handed strong side, 50 for two handed weak side, 50 for one handed weak side. I found that it has steadily been improving. I want to be able to shoot back if say a 9mm fractures my forearm. I think its important to practice with both hands. Your good one could get put out commission very quickly in a real SD shoot, Imo.

^ +1

If you review the case of Office Jared Reston, he took a .45 ACP to the chin which stunned him and put him down flat on his back. He had to use one arm to prop himself up and used only one hand to fire on the perpatrator.

Firing one handed is a lot more relaxing for me because I'm not trying to control the recoil, I don't feel like I'm fighting the pistol and in a sense I actually feel like I'm more in control of it.

I have a firm grip and when I fire my whole arm rises with the recoil. It's a much slower return to target but it's not as stressful to me to shoot that way.

Exactly, that case of the officer is a perfect example. I know what you mean about the firing with the one hand and not trying to control the recoil.

CountZero- I have a firm grip and when I fire my whole arm rises with the recoil. It's a much slower return to target but it's not as stressful to me to shoot that way. --Thats pretty much exactly how I feel firing 1 handed. My right arm rises and comes down slower but still I am getting it back on target pretty quickly and accuratley latley. The one handed left is the hardest but at 21-30ft. I am still getting it in a decent group. The 1911 is just such a natural pointer for me it just feels like an extension of my hand. I think training with one hand is important, and in both hands, imho.

Back