Shoot at what!?

stanmanplan

On a lighter note, what do you guys shoot at to visualize the destructive power of your rifles (inanimate please). I've tried a dozen milk jugs filled with water placed end to end and shot with my 30.06 and it was quite a show. What else along these line do you find amusing.

------------------
Thanks,

Stan

Try shooting a full can of shaving cream, especially with a .22. Kind of expensive plinking, but worth the show.

I like shooting animal crackers. They're cheap, challenging, and for the tree huggers out there, they are biodegradable.

Chuck

Tree huggers are also biodegradable!

Beenie-babies aren't that exciting to shoot but they do give you a great feeling of satisfaction. I prefer stuffed dinosaurs. Purple ones are the best. :)

Clay pigeons with iron sights at 100 yards.

Use to shoot plastic toy soldiers (6" tall) at 25 yards with a 38/357 revolver. Depending on the brand, some would get riddled and you can reshoot them. Others would explode with limbs flying everywhere.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I think Stan's talking about shooting things that have a good "effect". One of my favorites is the old soda can filled with water shot with a 22/250. Most melons shot with a hp rifle are pretty spectacular. I tried shooting a stick of dynamite once, but no go. The bullet was traveling about 6 times too slow to set it off. It just split into several pieces. I suppose if you let the dynamite sit still for a couple of years, it might work. :D

BTW, Stan, you have a great handle. I don't suppose you're originally from St. Louis are you? ;)

Mal H.

What caliber were you using when you shot the dynamite? I've seen it done successfully with a Ruger .41 Mag. Of course, the D in question had been out in the hot sun all day, and had started sweating a little nitro, so...it was also tied to a pine tree trunk. We did find out that it takes 4 sticks, tied opposite each other, to take down a 12" pine this way. One stick just blows out chunks of bark.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Ahh... one of my fav. topics! :)
Eggs, full cans of Soda (shaken), any type of Melon, blocks of ice, hollow cement blocks, cans of spray paint & hairspray.....
If it can EXPLODE shoot it ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Dynamite, 1/4 sticks placed in tennis balls, hard to hit but fun to watch. Get ditching dynamite. We have had them go off with .38 target loads. The only time we have had problems was when it was 15 degrees out.

25 pound propane bottles, with a lit fuzze near by.

Watermelons,

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

It's not very exciting to shoot, but it is one of the best gages of the power between different calibers/loads. Tie 1" pine boards together and then shoot for the center. See how many boards it penatrates.

Also a lot of fun, one I picked up from the book unintended consequenses is to shoot 1" blocks of wood on the water. Then try shooting them with a second shot while they are in the air. With a 357 I have gotten one to go over 30 ft in the air. Most however only go about 10 ft. At about 15 yards it can be quite challenging.

Richard

Barney dolls do it for me...amazing how high you can make them jump with a AR-15...if I play a tape of "...I love you, you love me..." in the back ground, I get so worked up I can hit em again while they're still mid-air!!

45King - I shot the dynamite with a 22/250. But it was a fresh stick and they usually require a very high speed (22,000 fps) concussion to set off. Also it was a cold day, so maybe that was a factor. If the stick sweats then it should definitely work better, that's what I meant by letting it sit for a while. The nitro will settle. One problem is if you handle the sweaty sticks, you can get one heck of a headache.

bookkie - I've wanted to try that trick ever since I read it in UC. I've gotten them to jump pretty high, but we can't complete the trick since there are houses and farms within a few miles of our pond. I've thought of shooting them out with a rifle and then a second person shoot them with a shotgun, but that's too easy. Maybe a rifle in the right hand and a shotgun in the left? (Just don't get confused. :) )

I've seen the guys in the magazines shooting ballistic gelatin. Does anyone know how this stuff is made or fwhere to get it?

Mike S- hilarious! How about old cassettes or CD's? Or computer floppies......or for that matter,a monitor! Telephone book.... the telephone....

I've shot a lot of things, but large plastic containers of water are probably the best.

I also like shooting a large group of phone books to look at penetration. Did you know 308win FMJ will go through 5 phone books without flinching? But in nosler ballistic tip, it gets to about 4 and a half making a nice big hole.

for info on stopping power of pistol bullets, visit Dale Towert Stopping power page http://www.evanmarshall.com/towert/
He has a section on how to make "wet packs" out of phone books and "ballistic gelatin" http://www.evanmarshall.com/towert/gelatin.htm

------------------
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub

[This message has been edited by othermarc (edited August 02, 1999).]

Every November, we have a Halloween Shoot, where we attempt to dismember our old Jack o'Lantern from 300 yds.

Our most favorite reactive target of the last 6 years or so has been "dingers" made from old railroad support plates found in the dirt. (Don't even think about using the ones that could even be construed as "somewhat" attatched to the tracks!) These things are about 7" wide by about 11" long, by about 3/8" to 1/2" thick and have 4 square holes in them for the railroad spikes to go through to attatch them to the ties. Their steel is fairly mild, but for pistol practice, they are great. They weigh about 7-12 pounds, depending on their thicknes. If you have a post or a tree at your ranch, you can hang them up with wire, and they swing well and make a lovely clang! when hit. Only problem is that anything above a 30-30 will punch through at 100 yards. At 150, '06 won't go through unless it's FMJ at a perpendicular. Makes a great fouling round at 300, and a nice "parting shot" for the day. If the sun has gone down and it's in the shadow, it often will shoot off some impressive sparks.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Back