SHIPPING MESS UP - Need Advice

nomad636

Hello,

I have a friend that purchased a firearm online from a well known distributed. After providing the distributed his local FFL information for shipping and transfer, the order was placed. Instead of the order being shipped to his FFL it was shipped directly to him. What should he do in this situation? The order was delivered to his house via UPS last night. No 4473 was filled out.

Thanks for the information.

Dude, you just asked 5 minutes ago!

I'm not a FFL so I can't help much. But I'd start with a phone call to the dealer that sent the gun.

OPTION-1: Refuse the shipment. Call the dealer/shipper to have UPS ship it directly back to them.

OPTION-2: Take the box & all (including dealer's FFL cy inside) to your own FFL to have a transfer made.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will pass them along to him. He was mainly worried about getting in trouble, as he had a new firearm that hadn't been properly logged..

"OPTION-2: Take the box & all (including dealer's FFL cy inside) to your own FFL to have a transfer made. "

That's probably the best option, provided the sending FFL logged the gun out to the intended receiving FFL. If he logged it out to the actual recipient there could be a problem if picked up during an audit.

My thoughts:
(I am not a lawyer or FFL holder.)

Call the shipper and notify them of the screw-up. They may have some advice.

Take it to the intended recipient FFL (or call) and see if they'll accept it for transfer.

If they don't want to touch it, it should go back to the shipper (on their dime), for a 'do-over'.

Call your FFL and see if he will just make the transfer. If so, put it in the car and get over there.

If he won't do that, call the carrier and get it returned.

Whatever you do, don't open the box.

" What should he do in this situation?"

OK, I will say it: take it to the closest range and shoot it. Reload, and shoot some more.

If I were in that situation, I would call the FFL I was going to use, explain the situation, and see if I couldn't just hand deliver it to them, and then complete the transaction as though UPS had delivered it to them as should have been done.

UPDATE

So my friend called the manufacturer he had ordered the rifle from, and let them know of the mess up. Immediately, he was transferred to one of the "higher ups" who started freaking out about the incident. They send my friend a shipping label immediately so he could send it back to them.

He did open the box and noticed that the firearm that was sent to him was not the one he had ordered as it had a different trigger system in it. After informing the "manager" of the second error on their end, he said he would do whatever it took to make it right.

Right now, I'm waiting on a "make it right" update from my friend. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice.

I had the same thing happen to a customer , he called me ,came over and we done the transfer. Problem solved. I called the the shipper and they freaked out but the address on the box was my name and address and FedEx delivered it to him and his address was nowhere on the box. Never will figure that one out.

Must have been one of those time warp things back to pre 1968.
Did your friend notice any worm holes or Deloreans around when that happened?

I had the ultimate nightmare with messed up shipping.
A rifle was re-barreled for me by one of the major custom barrel makers.
They insisted on both a work & home contact info, both phone & mailing address.
Here I am 2 months later happily working on W40th St In Manhattan when I get a call to come up front because there's a big box requiring a customer signature.:eek:
Yep they sent the darn thing to the work address, in Manhattan, New York City.
:o

In most cases I'd think an FFL would not accept a bring-in like you're talking about to do a transfer.

I've had an erroneous front-door delivery twice over the years, once about ten years ago & the other three weeks ago.

My FFL refused (and understandably so) to get involved the first time.
The second time I didn't bother to try.

Wife brought it in, didn't know what it was.
Once I realized, did not even open it.
Arranged for a return label ASAP & got it outa the house as soon as I could.
After which the company had to re-send same gun, to the FFL it should have gone to in the first place.

It does happen, don't expect any FFL to do a transfer on a third-party route like that.
Denis

Back