Shipping brass question to Il. residents

This is one of those things I wouldn't even care what there state wants . I'd ship it assuming it's direct ship to a private residence and it doesn't weigh 50lbs . It's like saying you can't ship a firearm also means you can't ship only the stock . The case is not a cartridge and the stock is not a gun . As the state official come sue me or maybe it's best you concentrate on COVID , the riots and defunding the police rather then if I'm shipping some empty tubes of brass that can't be anything other then a paper weight with out significant effort , time and money .

if I were a legal beagle I would interpret the above paragraph to include brass, primer and powder since it is adaptable to use in a firearm

All that above said , I agree with the quote . I see the writing as easily argued that an empty case is prohibited from shipping into the state .

I had 2k 158gr bullets sent to me but the post office said they would not deliver and I had to got pick them up at the post office . When I did the all but 5'2" gal came back with my small 45lb package and barely could get it on the counter . She asked "what's in here " , I wasn't sure what to say so I just said " lead " . She gave me a little tweak of her head and a confused look and said have nice day :)

Last edited:
nhyrum said:
In the actual law posted above(even in your quote) after saying self contained cartridge, also says, "by whatever name known" so the word cartridge just got thrown completely out the window.
I have to disagree. Laws are based on language, and language has a hierarchical structure. You can't get to 'B' if you haven't passed 'A.' In the case of this law, it says (to beat the poor, dead horse one more time) " 'Firearm ammunition' means any self-contained cartridge or shotgun shell, by whatever name known, which is designed to be used or adaptable to use in a firearm; ..."

Before you can get to the "by whatever name known," you must first have a cartridge. Whatever you choose to call it -- "cartridge," "shell," "bullet," Fred," or "Hermione" -- if it isn't a cartridge by an accepted definition, then it doesn't matter what it's called. Conversely, using the language you are concerned about, if what you have IS a cartridge, then calling it a paperweight won't protect you.

"by whatever name known" is a subordinate clause. It is separated from the body of the sentence by commas, and the sentence can be read -- and make complete sense -- if you omit that clause entirely. A subordinate clause does not control the operative clause in a sentence.

[For a scholarly discourse on how this works, read Justice Scalia's decision in the Heller case. He analyzes how such clauses operate in discussing the militia clause in the Second Amendment.]

That's how language works. Words have meanings.

I am reminded of the joke that is often attributed (apparently incorrectly) to Abraham Lincoln:

Q: If you call a dog's tail a leg, how many legs does your dog have?

A: Four, because calling the tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

To save everyone from having to look it up, here's what Justice Scalia said about subordinate clauses and operative clauses:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

From the Summary:

Heller - syllabus said:
Held:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.

(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved. Pp. 22–28.
(Emphasis added)

in retrospect I should have just suggested calling Brownells, Grafs, Brunos etc and asking them if they could ship brass to Ill.

Almost all will ship to here. I have never had any issue with any of the commonly known retailers we all have dealt with in reloading and firearms related materials. .
Some will not ship to cook county, just because they don't like the intimidation from Chicago, legal or not.

Sorry to open such a can of worms. I just figured someone from Illinois, who reloads, could tell me if it was ok,and someone has . So thanks for all the information.

I reload, live in ILL and purchase brass cases online. Empty cases are fine. It ain't like this is Mexico where you get hauled off for a spent case.

Back