Shipping brass question to Il. residents

Not a lawyer, but there is nothing in the law that I am aware of that would make shipping brass or ammo illegal.

Spent brass, no restrictions. It's just an inert metal.

Live brass (primed?), live ammo, primers, powder: IL law is clear that you cannot posses loaded ammunition without a FOID card, but does not address possession or purchase of ammo components. Most out of state suppliers will want to see your FOID card for verification to stay clear of the ISP, but there is no specific restriction.

On all legal matters, keep in mind this is an Internet forum and while the answers may well be correct, for your own security you should still search your state and local laws online for confirmation. There are also online resources from the various pro-gun organizations that summarize laws by state. With the potential for unintentional criminal actions, you have a "trust but verify" situation.

Obviously, neither this board, its owners, nor the posters assume any responsibility for the consequences of incorrect legal opinions. You accept them at your own risk.

If you can't find the answer online, your local USPS and (especially UPS) would have the answer. The people at the Counter are pretty knowledgeable.

Live brass (primed?), live ammo, primers, powder: IL law is clear that you cannot posses loaded ammunition without a FOID card, but does not address possession or purchase of ammo components. Most out of state suppliers will want to see your FOID card for verification to stay clear of the ISP, but there is no specific restriction.

I'm imagining a mailman being taken down for possession of ammo without the correct FOID while trying to deliver it. :confused:

I have checked their laws but they mention ammunition , firearms and explosives but don"t mention brass or projectiles. The problem is most of the so called officials have never heard of reloading and have no idea what we're talking about. The laws in every state are too vague.

Yes, fortunately non-shooters don't have a clue who we are and what reloading is. California loves closing shooting ranges. I've been thinking of showing up at a closed range with a shovel and telling them that I was there to help remove the toxic waste. If they asked I'd tell them I was making..um..fishing sinkers.

Another reason I'm glad zucc isn't a law maker... If it was up to him, having a picture of empty casings will send you to solitary...

Anyway. There's nothing I'm aware of that would make shipping empty cases behind enemy lines, I mean, to Illinois. I've done it. (That doesn't necessarily mean it's legal)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

if you do not have a FOID you would have no reason to need brass, if you have a FOID then there would be no need to post this question

edit - http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

"Firearm ammunition" means any self-contained cartridge or shotgun shell, by whatever name known, which is designed to be used or adaptable to use in a firearm; excluding, however:

if I were a legal beagle I would interpret the above paragraph to include brass, primer and powder since it is adaptable to use in a firearm

Last edited:
if you do not have a FOID you would have no reason to need brass, if you have a FOID then there would be no need to post this question
Here's a novel idea... People not from Illinois have no clue what the requirements are. So we simply don't know. You act like everyone from is from Illinois and understands their bass ackwayds laws. Like what even is a foid? Hence the question.

People say the only stupid question is the one not asked. Especially when law is concerned.

Apparently, you don't agree.

Way to treat a guy just trying to do right like a complete horses darriare

Why ask on a forum that has of non Illinois residents if we are so ignorant. I gave you a link, might want to read it or do like I do when I travel with firearms. Call the local Sheriff's Dept in the state I am traveling in

Because there are Illinois residents here... Imagine that. Isn't that a novel idea? The man asked a simple question and you preceded to berate him.

Again. The only stupid question is the one not asked. It's people like you that make people afraid to ask simple questions that could end up saving their life. Have some respect and decency

mmmm I don't consider what I posted berating, I just pointing out the obvious. I also gave a link to the legislation so they could determine for themselves and offered a suggestion as to how to find out for certain

Here's the issue the word "ammunition" is SUPER vague. Even in their definition, heck, they even throw in "by whatever name known". That is intentionally vague and wide sweeping . They don't specify it has to be a round containing a case/hull, propellant, projectile and ignition source. Just something that will basically go in a gun. The whole first paragraph of your first comment is completely useless. Right there is what my issue in your post lies. You say, flat or, there is no need to ask the question. I argue, strongly, against that. You may think you're Mr know it all, by posting the link. But I can assure you, you (and me) have much to learn. And learning is done via inquiry (doesn't have to be a verbal or digital question) but sometimes the hard part is finding the actual question to ask. The real question isn't always what's physically asked. It's just the surface manifestation. Which is why people don't always know how help themselves find the answer to the question.

If there's one thing I've learned from flying, is if you have ANY questions or doubts, especially when it comes to atc giving instructions, ASK!! Ask until you are 100% positive you understand. It doesn't matter how busy they are, they'd rather know you understand, even if it takes multiple repetitions, than have an accident, because you didn't want to bug them. I can't stress enough. If you have a question, doubt,etc. Ask. I silly don't care if someone asks what size bullets to use in x cartridge. At that point it's useless to say "it's in the book" which, yes, it is. And pretty specific too. That doesn't mean information had to be spoon fed either. We all knew nothing about this (or anything for that matter) at some point.

Anyway, I'm done people-ing for today

Last edited:
nhyrum said:
Here's the issue the word "ammunition" is SUPER vague. Even in their definition, heck, they even throw in "by whatever name known". That is intentionally vague and wide sweeping .
No, the law is not vague regarding the word "ammunition." The law defines the word:

"Firearm ammunition" means any self-contained cartridge or shotgun shell, by whatever name known, which is designed to be used or adaptable to use in a firearm; excluding, however:
The OP is asking about brass, so we don't have to concern ourselves with shotgun hulls or shells, or when a "hull" becomes a "shell." But we do have to concern ourselves with "cartridges." The law defines "firearms ammunition" as "any self-contained cartridge." Since the law does not define "self-contained cartridge," the legal principle is that we go by the dictionary definition. If I go to the Merriam-Webster web site and look up "cartridge," I find the following:

cartridge noun

car·​tridge | \ ˈkär-trij, dialectal ˈka-trij \

Definition of cartridge

: a case or container that holds a substance, device, or material which is difficult, troublesome, or awkward to handle and that usually can be easily changed: such as

a : a tube (as of metal) containing a complete charge for a firearm and usually an initiating device (such as a primer)

b : a case containing an explosive charge for blasting

c : an often cylindrical container for insertion into a larger mechanism or apparatus

d : cassette sense 2

e : a small case that contains a phonograph needle and transducer and is attached to a tonearm

f : a removable case containing a magnetic tape or one or more disks and used as a computer storage medium

g : a case for holding printed circuit chips containing a computer program a video-game cartridge

The first meaning is obviously the one applicable to firearms ammunition: "a tube (as of metal) containing a complete charge for a firearm and usually an initiating device (such as a primer)." Spent brass does not contain a complete charge for a firearm -- it contains neither powder nor a projectile, and it would take a very devious judge to try to construe a spent primer as "an initiating device," since it is inert.

I think it's very clear that the law simply doesn't contemplate reloading components; it contemplates loaded ammunition. You don''t get to worry about whether or not it's adaptable to be used in a firearm until you first have a complete cartridge.

No, the law is not vague regarding the word "ammunition." The law defines the word:

The OP is asking about brass, so we don't have to concern ourselves with shotgun hulls or shells, or when a "hull" becomes a "shell." But we do have to concern ourselves with "cartridges." The law defines "firearms ammunition" as "any self-contained cartridge." Since the law does not define "self-contained cartridge," the legal principle is that we go by the dictionary definition. If I go to the Merriam-Webster web site and look up "cartridge," I find the following:

The first meaning is obviously the one applicable to firearms ammunition: "a tube (as of metal) containing a complete charge for a firearm and usually an initiating device (such as a primer)." Spent brass does not contain a complete charge for a firearm -- it contains neither powder nor a projectile, and it would take a very devious judge to try to construe a spent primer as "an initiating device," since it is inert.

I think it's very clear that the law simply doesn't contemplate reloading components; it contemplates loaded ammunition. You don''t get to worry about whether or not it's adaptable to be used in a firearm until you first have a complete cartridge.
In the actual law posted above(even in your quote) after saying self contained cartridge, also says, "by whatever name known" so the word cartridge just got thrown completely out the window. Especially for it who have no idea about metallic cartridges, at all. The phase"by whatever name known" is the dangerously vague phrase that will most likely end up being twisted to include any and all reloading components.

In my opinion, the law is written extremely vague, but with key buzz words that get precisely vaguely described. It's a state hell bent on completely getting rid of firearms. But maybe I'm too cynical. Most every law written because someone doesn't trust someone else to be a decent human being. Think about it. Speed limits, to gun laws. All the government not trusting the people to be reasonable. We can't trust people to operate their vehicle in a safe way (and they've proven, time and time again just how stupid everyone is) so we have to make laws. We can't trust people to not be filthy animals and cover their coughs and sneezes, so we make everyone wear masks and gloves. We can't trust people to stay home, so we make everyone stay home. Get the idea?)

Alright, I'm out for real. I think the horse has been beat enough.

Last edited:
Sorry to open such a can of worms. I just figured someone from Illinois, who reloads, could tell me if it was ok,and someone has . So thanks for all the information.

Back