Shaw rifles

Entertaining to see how different shooters define acceptable accuracy. Not too many years back, a sub moa rifle was very acceptable for varmints and prairie dogs. Hunting rifle accuracy was more generous as many hunting rigs were seldom used for shooting game past a couple hundred yards. Now long range shooting is the rage, and the desired accuracy has been tightened down, to the point that a 2 moa rifle is often viewed as a candidate for the trade block, and some shooters seem to sneer at just moa accuracy. And I confess to being the same way. Can't help it...I just NEED 1/2" groups from my hunting rifles! At least thats my excuse for a big shelf full of various powders and half empty boxes of bullets.:D
For a big game rifle, I need it to grouop 1" at 200 yards over 5 cold bore shots.

I’ve had good luck with ER Shaw. As others have said, 1/2 Moa groups are about what you’ll get but that’s fine for me. I mean I would be displeased with that if I were a bench rest shooter. But I’m not. 1/2 moa rifle is a good point where returns diminish significantly beyond that unless you shoot benchrest. Spending money on ammo and learning to read wind really well will make you much more money at long range shooting than going from 1/2 to 1/4 moa groups.

15 years ago 1/2 moa groups for the $190 shipped to my door Shaw barrel was a smoking deal honestly. I looked the other day and they appear to have gone up a tad in price. Still reasonable.

A&B Barrels

A&B Barrels: I have both Shilen and Douglas barrels that are well finished. The A&B barrels are noted for having a rough bore. This is my experience with A&B barrels. Rough but accurate. To me the claim Shilen or Douglas overstocked barrels were used in A&B barrels is bull hockey to the core. :eek:

To be fair to ER Shaw, their barrels are OK. But just OK. They are not great accuracy barrels, they typically shoot 1/2MOA or so in my experience.

Ok for a hunting rifle? I found that pretty funny. Anyone know a shooter let alone a hunter than can do 1/2 MOA in the field?

Been awhile since I was hunting but last time the Caribou still did not have target dots on them!

Hunted with a 1.5 MOA rifle and other than when I vastly hosed up, done fine.

Hell on a good day I am happy with 1/2 MOA.

I built 3 target rifles on Savage actions. Its a great setup for what I wold call a recreational target shooter.

You can do your own barrels and pick whatever a range of mfgs that make Savage pre fit barrels. Shilen and Criterion would be great choices. My best shooter is a Shilen.

RC20

Ok for a hunting rifle? I found that pretty funny. Anyone know a shooter let alone a hunter than can do 1/2 MOA in the field
Yeah, those "accuracy requirements" are humorous as all get out. Unless a hunter is looking to harvest an elk at 1000 yards, 1 moa is way adequate for most medium to large game. Either there is a bit of "tongue in cheek" or some are caught up in the long range shooting fad. But like I said in my prior post, accuuracy is addictive and elusive.

RC20

Yeah, those "accuracy requirements" are humorous as all get out. Unless a hunter is looking to harvest an elk at 1000 yards, 1 moa is way adequate for most medium to large game. Either there is a bit of "tongue in cheek" or some are caught up in the long range shooting fad. But like I said in my prior post, accuuracy is addictive and elusive.
My Daddy taught me that the more accurate the rifle is, the more room exits for my error. I still find that to be true.

Reynolds357
I understand your thinking. I waste money and gasoline and time every winter punching holes in paper pursuing tighter groups from all my rifles. Occasionally I have to laugh at myself trying to attain accuracy that very likely won't be any more effective for hunting. Makes me chuckle reading comments here about the same subject.

Carry on....

Back