Share some of your knowledge and help a guy out...

• Thread starter Thread starter KilgorII
  • Start date Start date
I like them both. I actually purchased a Ruger GP-100 4" Stainless. I think it is terrific and wouldn't sleep another night if something happened to it until I replaced it. I would like to have a 8 3/8" 686, but I will not buy a new one for political reasons. Haven't been able to locate a used one at a reasonable price. If I could only have one, I would get the Ruger. It will do anything you could ask of a .357 and keep doing it for you, and your kids, and your grandkids. It is revolutionary in the fact that you can take it completely down for cleaning. That feature is huge for anyone that uses their revolver hunting or in the field where it is exposed to severe weather. I personally don't buy into the idea that S&W actions and trigger are nessessarily better than Rugers (yes I own a number of S&W revolvers). If you don't like your trigger or action you can easily get it slicked up.

Greeting's All:

Well sir, your search for the right .357 Magnum will turn up
many answer's; all will most likely be correct, depending on
your usage of this weapon. In .357 Magnum, for CCW carry I would strongly recommend the 2-1/2" barrel model 66 Smith &
Wesson. For woods use, the choice is a little more wide open. In the 4" barrel models, I would opt for the S&W 66
(K-frame), the S&W 686 (L-frame), or the older S&W model 27
or 28 (N-frame). My personal preference would be a 6" barrel
model 28 Smith & Wesson. It's a work-horse type of firearm,
very capeable of extremely good accuracy with a variety of
ammunition. Good luck in your selection!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I have actually pounded nails with one of my GP's, but witnesses were dismayed by my apparent lack of respect.
Screw that; gun = tool.

I have a 686, in stainless and 4 inch barrel, and love it. An excellent target pistol. Not any harder to carry than any other revolver or auto of the same size. Adjustable sights are great for target shooting using a variety of loads, including .38spl, and at a variety of different ranges. Rugers also have an adjustable sight option, I believe. You can't go wrong with either. The one that points and feels best to you is the one to go for. Only you know how the weapon feels in your hands. Both are reliable and will probably outlast you and your offspring.

Back