Serpa vs Trigger Finger

I was at the range today and saw a Serpa for a 1911 in the pro shop. I picked it up and paid the guy. I've been wearing if for a couple of hours, and I agree that there is a learning curve, but probably not as steep as the learning curve on my Safariland 6360. Still, a few practice draws and I feel comfortable with the holster. Not as comfortable as the old thumbreak pancake holster I've been carrying the 1911 in, but comfortable nonetheless. I can see how a pistolero might be tempted to put his finger in the trigger guard. Training, fellows, training.

What was interesting to me is that from looking at the videos, Kraigwy seems to be a belt-and-suspenders guy. Interesting. Who'd a thunk it?

Of course they can be used safely and correctly by shooters. The problem is though that if you just stand back and watch a bunch of shooters using them, without them being aware, a high percentage of them will be hooking that finger when they engage the release, making it very easy for the finger to pop into the trigger guard. Now, people can do the same thing with a regular holster, but a lot more will do it with the Serpa design.

A club always has to be on the lookout for safety and shooters that have a problem with it. It's just multiplied with the use of the Serpas. It's easier for a lot of clubs to ban them, rather than say shooter A can use one but shooter B can't. Mark

It's easier for a lot of clubs to ban them,

No you ban those who can't follow the four basic rules of firearm safety.

Kraigwy seems to be a belt-and-suspenders guy. Interesting. Who'd a thunk it?

I am a firm believer in "concealed is concealed" If the revolver or pistol is heavy, then I'll use suspenders to remain concealed.

"It's easier for a lot of clubs to ban them,"

"No you ban those who can't follow the four basic rules of firearm safety."

A lot of clubs and schools have found that a much higher percentage of shooters using Serpa holsters seem to have a harder time following the four basic rules of firearm saftey because of the use of the trigger finger to release the gun from the holster. Some shooters find it easy to use properly, a lot don't. Shooters can find a lot of ways to be unsafe. Theoretically, they shouldn't be a problem. But when observing enough shooters actually using them, between safety issues and malfunctioning holsters, they've seen more problems than they have time to deal with. Thus the bans. Makr

For now all the ranges that I have gone to for competition matches have outlawed the use of Serpa holsters in the matches. Too many folks putting holes in there calf's and dupas and some have been LE doing the screw ups.

Dupas? Now, I know what that means, having lived in Buffalo and marrying someone from that tribe. :D

At a local match, we had two Serpa leg shoots and one guy who was so struggling with his and get excited that the SO grabbed him so he would stop.

Unfortunately there are some people that should not even attempt to walk, and chew bubble gum at the same time. Much less try to draw a hand gun with thier finger out of the trigger guard, and then bring it to a safe point before attemting to fire it. What many people can train to do safely, some just can not do it. Regardless of how much training they recieve.

1911 serpa

I have a serpa for my 1911 and I have NO problem withdrawing the pistol and keeping my finger off the trigger. It's just a natural pull and the finger ends up on the frame of the gun. No problem!

Dupas? Now, I know what that means, having lived in Buffalo and marrying someone from that tribe.

At a local match, we had two Serpa leg shoots and one guy who was so struggling with his and get excited that the SO grabbed him so he would stop.

Glad to have you as a tribe member even if its by marriage. Our 3 self inflicted wounds were 2 calf, 1 dupa all with 1911's

One of the local gun shop employees recommended the Serpa to me when I bought my first Glock. I bought the holster, used it for some of my first IDPA competitions and used it in a 2-day defensive handgun class. While I never had a problem with it and had no ND's, I stopped using it after 6 months. Here's my own reasoning:

Using the locking tab adds a complicated series of motions. The index finger is "activated", flexing on the tab/button. You draw the gun out of the holster and the finger is supposed to fall on the frame. You then have to relax the finger, move it to the trigger guard, and then flex it again. Flex-press-relax-flex into trigger guard.

Compare that to a non-locking holster. Your index/trigger finger is extended or already relaxed while you draw the gun, then it flexes into the trigger guard. 2 steps instead of multiple steps

In non-stressful situations and even competitions with my Serpa, I can get a proper grip on the gun, hit the tab, and the finger falls on the frame. I'm completing my draw stroke without a problem.

But what if I'm in a stressful, life-threatening situation? Maybe I won't get that proper grip. Maybe my hand will be just a little high or just a little low on the grip, forcing my finger to be a little off. I might forget to relax the finger when I pull out and I'm so adrenalin pumped that my entire shooting hand balls up...and the finger slips into the trigger guard a little too early. Or I might miss the tab altogether and I'm trying to tug and tug on my gun while it stays locked in the holster. Or maybe it'll clear the holster and the shot breaks when I want it to.

Others will be happy with the holster, and will never have a ND with it-- that's all great. I never had a ND with a Serpa, but I'm not willing to keep taking chances with it. Too many uncertainties.

Last edited:
Match today, a very skilled shooter and LEO had a new Serpa - had problems freeing the gun. Said he would have to practice quite a bit.

Thus, for someone who doesn't practice intensively, not the way to go, IMHO.

No body should carry any pistol/revolver in any holster withwout practicing ............A LOT.

At least until it comes as a second nature.

I have no problem with the Serpa, I own one for my Glock 20 and it's great.

The only downside is if you are rolling around in loose material, mud, snow, etc. The mechanism could become caked, requiring additional force that could lead to a mistake. If you're going into a messy environment, I'd say get a different holster.

Regarding the Tex Grubner incident, he's a moron. I'd say it to his face. He switched guns and switched holsters and went full speed ahead, when his fundamentals weren't in place. It was a "tactical timebomb" waiting to blow. It is a bad example for everybody and unfortunately, many follow in his (and similar peoples') footsteps.

I hate to be judgemental, but I am going to be for a minute because it needs to be said. For some reason, firearms, and gun sports, attract a lot of people who frankly should have a less dangerous hobby. People who are not naturally athletic or coordinated think that with a few practice runs in front of the mirror can draw and fire like Chris Costa in the DVDs. It's this "need for speed" that is going to continue to produce injuries and accidents. There are a dozen phrases about going slow, but when the clock is ticking nobody seems to care. They get caught up in the moment and forget to breathe, let alone how to properly operate their holster or maintain trigger finger discipline. That's why I only shoot at private clubs.

Thanks for the analysis Kraig, good stuff.

Back