series 70 gold cup slide stuck back

rebs

I went to the shooting range this morning and fired one shot from my series 70 gold cup. The slide came back, the case was ejected and now the slide will not move. I cannot get it to move other than a very slight movement.
Anyone have an isea what happened or how to fix it ?

One of the first things I would do is remove the barrel bushing and take the spring out. Then the slide is not under any spring tension.

I assume the slide release has been pressed down. I don't know how that could be jammed up. You need to post pictures.

yes the slide release is down, the slide is stuck with the slide lined up with the slide release.

Hope this doesn't sound too silly, but
Did you remove the magazine?
And did you try an aggressive sling shot method to operate the slide back into action?
You know, yank the slide rearward and release it quickly.
Before removing the bushing and spring, that is.

There are some real experts on this site, but the only thing that is underneath the slide is the disconnector. This trigger disconnector is just forward of the breech face when the slide is locked back on my M1911's. Is the slide blocked by that?

On a series 80, the firing pin block will drop down and prevent forward movement, but you are claiming this is a series 70.

If your Colt has one of those split ring bushings, maybe one of the fingers broke off and is jammed between the barrel and slide. I removed a split ring bushing and replaced with a solid bushing when the finger broke off.

I can see that removing the barrel bushing will be tricky if the slide is locked back, but removing that spring tension is important for diagnosis.

Don't want to sound discouraging, but if the basic type cures don't work, it's best to take the gun to a 1911 expert.
There's a number of things that might be the cause that could require some experience with 1911s.

You shoot a second shot after a squib load? Barrel bulged(look for a dark ring)? The slide failing to close is the indicator. Won't happen if it was just one round though. Barrel link might be busted.
Anyway, you should be able to field strip as per normal. Even if there's a bulge or broken parts.
One of those split ring bushings is called a Collet bushing. Mine has worked just fine for 30 some years. Still possible it's busted. Don't think the 'fingers' are thick enough to stop the slide though.

This-
If your Colt has one of those split ring bushings, maybe one of the fingers broke off . If a vintage series 70, it has one.

Do not force the slide forward.
Check the slide stop to see if it partially walked out of the frame, if it did push the slide stop back in toward the frame for the fix.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

apparently there was a squib round and the following shot bulged the barrel. Does anyone have a barrel for sale or know where I can get one ?

1911 barrels might have to be fitted to the gun, unless you get lucky.

Funny Squib story:
A friend did that with a Browning HP.
But instead of going to the trouble of having to fit a new barrel, he sanded down the bulged one enough so it fit the gun again.
Apparently it didn't take all that much, the bulge wasn't too big.
It was tight but the gun functioned ok.
He said it shot better than ever after that.

How did a squib load bulge the barrel if only one shot was fired? A barrel bulge results when a second bullet is fired into one stuck in the barrel. A bullet simply stuck in the barrel won't bulge anything.

Jim

How did a squib load bulge the barrel if only one shot was fired? A barrel bulge results when a second bullet is fired into one stuck in the barrel. A bullet simply stuck in the barrel won't bulge anything.

That's a good question. If you only fired one shot, then there was either a barrel obstruction before you pulled the trigger, or, the barrel was bulged from a previous excursion. In which case, how did you rack the slide and chamber a round?

I don't have a lot of experience with bulged barrels and this is intriguing.

Back