Serial Number info for Winchester Model 94

Winchester 94 30 30 SN 2841042

I have a Winchester 94 30 30 SN #2841042 that was left toe by my grandfather. Can any one tell me what it might be worth? An estimate or range. Is in very good condition

I think location has a lot to do with that. They may not bring but 300 where you are but here a real nice one will bring 400 or more.

NIB 94s

I came across a number of NIB 94s that are part of an estate sale. Any speculation as to Fair Market Value.

1. 20" blue 44mag Ser# 635XXXX

2. 16" Brushed 44mag "Trapper" w/saddle ring Ser# 639XXXX

3. 9422 w/crossbolt safety

Waiting for them to set pricing.

Last edited:
Winchester

Hi yall, I new here and Im hoping you all can help me out. I have a Winchester model 94AE 30-30 serial #6378871 that is unfired and all stainless steel with short tube and synthetic furniture.

I cant find squat on this (thats why I bought it).... Any Ideas??

While Winchester has barreled Model 94's with stainless steel barrels (early 20th Century), they've NEVER made a Model 94 entirely of stainless steel.

What Winchester has done, however, is to finish some Carbon steel models to look like stainless steel (or pewter, or Silver).

Winchester also made a few Brushed Chrome (finish) 94 Trapper's, with synthetic stocks for a S.H.O.T. show (IIRC), sometime around 1999 - your 94AE might possibly be one of those (a call to Winchester with the SN might tell you)

Also, If a bbl is stamped "proof steel", it is not stainless steel.

Last edited:
Wow!! You are a wealth of knowledge, and it does say "proof steel" on the barrel.
This thing looks to be at 98%+ what would you value it at? Would you shoot it? Or should it be kept in the safe?

Well - YMMV.

While I wouldn't take a shiny/silvered gun out hunting, I might shoot one on the range - but who knows ?

If it's one of those "specials" (i.e., verified in writing by Winchester), it could be more valuable to someone who collect such, fired as little as possible.

Keep in mind that NO guns are truely unfired - since the factories usually "proved" them by shooting at least one shot through them. (Some states now require that fired case be kept/sold with the gun for handguns, IIRC)

FWIW, In over 50 years, I've never personally changed/damaged ANY firearm via simply firing it - at least enough that anybody could discern.

I have a 1964 model 1894 in very good to excellent condition, and it was manufactured prior to the changes (screw head visible, rounded bottom), it was handed down to me from my father, who purchased it brand new in '64, his first firearm. It is my prized possession, and i was hoping for a very rough (ball park, parking lot of the ball park) estimate on its value to help me to decide whether to insure it or not. Serial number is 2596336, if that is any help. Your assistance is greatly appreciated, whatever the results. Thank you.

Winchester had long changed the "Model 1894" label to "Model 94" by the time the 1960's came along.

And, FYI, even though your Dad might have purchased it in 1964, it was most likely "in the pipeline" for awhile before it got to him - SN 2,599,632 is the highest seen & verified pre-64 Model 94, & the factory Polishing Room records list SN 2,599,694 as the last SN made in 1963, so you actually have a 1963 model.

FWIW, The value of ANYthing would be commensurate with it's condition:

A tomato stake per-64 Model 94 might be worth only $100 or so for parts; while a NIB/pristine example worth closer to $500/$600 - although some sellers seem awfully proud of theirs, judging by their asking prices.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, and the SN info is interesting, nice to know that it is actual a '63 model. The value is all sentimental for me, i hope the rifle stays in my family for many years after I'm gone, but my boys are to young to understand this kind of thing as of yet. probably won't worry about insuring it, as according to to the amounts given, it wouldn't be too difficult to replace, should anything (God forbid) ever happen to it. As for condition, i took my cues from the NRA guide. No scarring of the wood and only light wear of the finish around cornered or raised surfaces, no scratches, pitting, rust, or dings. This rifle has been well cared for, and shall continue to be. Thanks again for the info, it is greatly appreciated.

I have a model 1894 30-30 with the serial number 12595 waiting for me in my dad's basement. NRA condition is a solid good (did not get a chance to get pictures last time he pulled it out): no rust, wood bruised and scratched with no cracks (it was a daily use saddle gun), action smooth, trigger light and crisp, and the only replacement parts I saw were the "saddle sights" (low profile sights to avoid snagging on a scabbard, patent date 1901 on rear sight). While I have no intention of selling (been in the family since purchase), I am curious as to what it might be worth.

1898 Winchester Model 94

Winchester Model 94, SN 142282, Yr of Man. 1898
No saddle ring.
Factory short magazine.
Brass butt-plate.

Trying to figure what the value of this rifle is. Seems to be difficult to find info for pre 64 guns. Spent several hours online and am either missing something or just not bright enough (no comments!) to find something other than vague info. Don't really want to get the museum at Cody involved as of yet, $60, yea, I know, I'm cheap!

Pics are attached.

Appreciate any information and help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fi372.jpg
    fi372.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 392
  • fi373.jpg
    fi373.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 289
  • fi376.jpg
    fi376.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 269
OK, kentjome. Looks to me like you have a parts gun: either a carbine with a rifle stock or a rifle with a carbine forearm and barrel (my guess is this one), and from the magazine cap it looks like a cut and repaired magazine tube. Looks like a post-war barrel based on the sight. It never had a saddle ring. I have never seen an original brass buttplate on an 1894, and it doen't look like brass in the pics. Unless I am missing something, it is a shooter, value about $350-$400. But it is hard to get a real good look at it from pics.

Last edited:
Back