Semi automatics for hunting

So based on some of the replies, it sounds to me that semi autos are mostly suited for home defense although with home defense you would be best off with a shotgun either pump or semi doesn't matter and a handgun for backup and for situations where a handgun would be better than a long gun. With rifles, there is the problem of over penetration so the rifle is mainly a hunting weapon.

Also Im under the impression that the bolt action is more rugged, more durable, and is simpler in its function than a semi auto.

Eh, I don't know about that. It depends on your individual situation. Certainly a rifle might not be ideal due to over penetration and the potential danger to others both in and outside the home but I know lots of people that keep an AR loaded for home defense.

A bolt action is definitely simpler in function and for the most part, will be lighter but don't forget the semi-autos we're talking about here were designed for the battle field and can likely take just about any abuse we could give them while hunting.

The real issue is power to weight ratio. My AR-10 .308 weighs close to 10 pounds fully loaded while any bolt action in the same caliber is not much more than half that. I have to go 1100 feet in elevation in about half a mile to get from camp to my stand. There's no way I would want to lug a 10 pound rifle on that hike. That's why I prefer short, light lever actions for hunting at home where I have to do some walking around.

It's really all about personal preference and what works best for you where you hunt. I'm the only lever action guy in my camp. Most guys hunt with bolts but there are a few other action types.

The issue of overpenetration of 223 rounds as compared to handgun rounds or shotgun rounds is well discussed. Please google it before you all start spouting about overpenetration. It is not what you seem. As they said in the calculus book, I will leave the steps to the students to see how it goes. That's a hint.

A bolt action is definitely simpler in function and for the most part, will be lighter but don't forget the semi-autos we're talking about here were designed for the battle field

I guess I missed that. I thought the semi-autos we were talking about here were such rifles as the Remington 742, Browning BAR, Winchester 100, Ruger .44 Mag. carbine, etc.

Just a thought, if the semi is wanted because you think you will miss and then want to blast away - that's a problem.

If you can't get a good first shot - why do you think you will get a second when Bambi or Tweety is running full out away?

I would say that follow up shots 7 times out of 10 just end up being wild shots in the general direction of the game you missed the first time

Maybe not so much with deer, but with hogs, perfectly good, fatal boiler room shots are not always immediately fatal, and the hogs run and can run far. "Far" is relative to the junk you have to track them through, LOL. Sometimes the best way to keep from having to track them through the swamps, briar, and poison ivy is to put another round or two into them.

https://youtu.be/AA2ePTCbQcw

Of course, making a nice CNS shot means no tracking and none of the meat gets ruined, but making a nice CNS isn't always possible.

We hunt quite a lot in Maryland where semi-autos are legal. My buddy has hunted with a well worn RUGER in 44MAG since the 1970's. But I've had very good luck with my Marlin 30-30.

Jack

I regularly hunt with semis. the main advantage of a bolt gun over a semi is weight. bolt guns on average weigh less and hold less ammo(adding to the weight savings. if a person is not averse to packing 10 pounds of gun around then hunting with a semi doesn't carry a lot of negativity. oh, and it's harder to keep track of your brass with a semi.

Just a thought, if the semi is wanted because you think you will miss and then want to blast away - that's a problem.

If you can't get a good first shot - why do you think you will get a second when Bambi or Tweety is running full out away?

How about when a bear is running full out at you?

How about when a bear is running full out at you?

Are you hunting a bear? Plan better. If walking around - bear spray rather than spray and pray.

If you are going to hunt dangerous animals and flat out miss a good shot, maybe you shouldn't hunt them. If they are running full out at you, that implied you were pretty close - so that's a hint.

The best hunter I know uses single shot, heavier barreled guns. He has a nice collection of other actions including semiautomatics, but scoffs when anyone suggests he should hunt with something that gives him the ability to shoot faster. It is not coincidental that he is also the best shot with a rifle I have ever seen...

If you are going to hunt dangerous animals and flat out miss a good shot, maybe you shouldn't hunt them. If they are running full out at you, that implied you were pretty close - so that's a hint.

A hit will not necessarily stop a dangerous animal. In fact, large bears have been known to take multiple rifle rounds and still keep coming. And they're quite fast, they can run at 40 MPH so they can close in from a distance rather quickly.

I always thought a Browning BAR with the French walnut was a beautiful rifle. And, most of them shot plenty good enough. Nothing says that just because it is semi that you need to use it any differently.

Hunting with a bolt, or lever, action rifle doesn’t mean the first shot will be accurate or make a one-shot kill. I’ve seen a lot of bolt and lever action users empty their rifles firing follow up shots and not hit anything.

I used a bolt action .270 Win a few years ago and it was a one shot and kill affair. Last year I hunted with semi auto's exclusively, it wasn't because I felt the need for "packing 10 rounds and blasting away" it was also a one shot and kill affair.

I carried a semi auto because they do tend to be heavier, which doesn't bother me, and they recoil less. I was having shoulder issues and the semi auto action shooting was easier on my shoulder and they were more comfortable for me to practice with.

A hit will not necessarily stop a dangerous animal. In fact, large bears have been known to take multiple rifle rounds and still keep coming. And they're quite fast, they can run at 40 MPH so they can close in from a distance rather quickly

I suppose we all have our Walter Mitty moments.I'm writing to amuse myself.
There are guides/professional hunters in Alaska and Africa who earn their living standing with clients hunting dangerous game.
Generally,part of the service they provide is knowing the game and the client well enough to avoid the situation you describe.
Sometimes you are out of luck.You just are not going to control the situation by handing you mastercard to the gunstore clerk.
Being more bear-wise beats some fantasy gun.
I suggest you research what sort of rifle guides and professional hunters use to back up clients hunting dangerous game.

I am not suggesting you choose a guide backup rifle to hunt with.It is a specialized tool needed when things go wrong.

Walter Mitty yourself in front of an enraged cape buffalo.You are the professional hunter.Your annoying client just defied your instruction and muffed a shot.M'bogo is 30 yards and closing fast.
What trusty rifle is in your hands?? I'll bet its not a self-loader.

I'll bet its a double or a bolt rifle.And I'll bet only a double has a chance at a second shot.

No disrespect intended,I suggest stepping out of your head.
Take your .22 out,and slay some saltine crackers.Or pop cans.

There is not much you can do with a rifle in North America that cannot be done with a bolt action 30-06.It is enough,if you are enough.

Don't get me wrong,a Win 94,a Marlin 336,a Rem model 81 or 742,an H+R topper in 30-30,a .54 Hawken,whatever works for you is great!!

What boots are you going to wear?

The guides I have seen in the Montana Wilderness where Grizzly Bears are around mostly use the 1895G 45-70 and have some cartridges special loaded for bear by somebody who they think knows what he is doing anyway.

My 7400 30-06 is always by my side when I am deer hunting, it has put many deer in my freezer, it may not be the gun for you, but it is for me !!! :D

Back