Semi-auto VS pump

I have never been a pump guy, shotguns or rifles and have owned both. Just never liked them that well. Keep a semi auto cleaned, lubed and feed it good ammo fully reliable, do the same for a pump shotgun and pump it hard and it fully reliable too. I have seen more new shooters given a pump for a first shotgun jam them than than all other type put together.

I guess I'm old school. To me, bolt, semi-auto and lever actions are rifles while pumps and break barrels are shotguns. The reverse just doesn't seem right.

I have only had blowback semi-autos in 22LR, gas operated semi-autos in centerfire and pump action in shotguns. All have been reliable, stable platforms from which to shoot. I never found the pump action to be so slow as to interrupt a second shot and with practice it could be operated without losing my sight picture. If I were looking for a classic pattern hunting rifle, I would certainly give equal consideration to a pump action as a semiautomatic based on my experiences.

Don't forget in a defensive scenario that a semi can be operated with one hand if one of your arms is out of commission.

Rmocarsky

Back