Semi auto Springfield 1903 . . . really.

quite possible exactly the same one, and that same green tint to the Parker finish. I bet yours shoots very well.
They would have been interesting to compare. Do you remember if the selector switch that allows the user to shoot from the magazine or single round was modified like mine was?
You can see on both photos that I added that it was rounded off at the front to clear the rear sight.
I would be very interested in the history of mine.
I just wish I could shoot as well as it does. My eyes even with the hooded front sight are only good for 5 inches at 100 yards.

I can't recall about the cut-off selector. It may not have been the same sight. I would guess that it was a Lyman, but I might be mistaken, I've seen so many over the years. I do wish I had kept that old rifle. I sold it to a young friend who was totally wrapped up in the early Springfield mystique.
I guess you are familiar with Hatcher's Notebook, Julian Hatcher's book about his years as superintendent at SA. He states quite clearly that the serial range the Mark I falls in were the best receivers they ever made.

Lot of weird stuff out there. I remember reading somewhere about 94 Winchesters with a caliber change and auto capability in the pre- Castro mess in Cuba.

When the Army was considering a semi-auto rifle - a search that culminated with the adoption of the M1 rifle (Garand) - they entertained proposals to convert the M1903 to a semi-auto, presumably at considerable savings. Unlike the Pedersen device, though, the converted rifles had to use the (then) standard .30 ammunition. There were a number of interesting proposals, most unrealistic and many unworkable. In most cases, the cost of conversion, even in quantity, would have exceeded the cost of a new rifle.

Jim

they entertained proposals to convert the M1903 to a semi-auto, presumably at considerable savings. Unlike the Pedersen device, though, the converted rifles had to use the (then) standard .30 ammunition.

See the link I posted above, that is one of those prototypes.

Back