Semi Auto Shotguns for Home Defense

Yes, I traded it - had no real use for a shotgun at that time and I had a buddy who really needed one. So we came to an accord.

So I am just wondering why we don’t see more semi auto home defense guns? Is it a reliability thing? What limitations exist? Price? I’m just wondering why we don’t see more used. I’d be curious to see the performance of a 12 and 20 in the role. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the first reason you might see more pump shotguns than semi-autos for home defense is price. Pumps are a lot cheaper than semi-autos, all else being equal. Also just in my experience, the malfunctions I get in a pump shotgun usually are cleared easier than my semi-auto shotgun. YMMV. I'd pick a 12 Gauge for home defense as there are a far better selection of rounds for that weapon for home defense than a 20 Gauge. Round selection is very important and with something that has a flitecontrol wad like Federal, you can effectively use 00 buckshot out to around 30-35 yards out of a 18-20 inch cylinder bore barrel. This should be plenty for most home defense ranges and you might get a little further than that under ideal conditions but most home defense conditions are less than ideal.

I shot trap with an old Remington 870 Wingmaster, almost every Thursday night, 200 shells a week, for over 5 years, plus hunting and Turkey shoots, and sporting clays, put almost 50,000 shells thru that gun without a breakdown. I'm sure modern semi autos are just freaking star spangled awesome, but I'll stick to the simplicity and reliability of a pump.

If If If

For clay targets a pump is likely the best choice on a price vs. performance ratio vs. a semi or an O/U.
Down side is doubles are more challenging.

It's always easy to spend someone else's money. Thus for clays you will hear lots of good recommendations to buy a "B" gun. IE: Browning or Beretta buy once, cry once.
That's accurate, very accurate. Unfortunately you may not have the price of entry for a B gun.

Some hard shopping might find you a good used B gun for 1,500.00.

For the budget challenged it's hard to beat a quality pump gun for clays. Just make sure it fits.
For the handy types buy a good 30-32" Win Model 12 and restock it to your dimensions. 500 - 700 bucks and you could have a gun you can't wear out easily.

Lots of good choices, I am a Winchester fan, but lots of choices both old and brand new.
The popular old guns like the Model 12 have some aftermarket support. The stock I bought from High Plains for my Model 12 trap is excellent. Was practically a drop in fit 98% inletted. I did very little fitting. The checkering matches decently, a little creative staining and it's a decent match to the trap grade forend wood.

Wingmasters, Ithaca 37, Model 12. All great guns that deserve a second life. And no worries about steel shot with clay targets....YET.

Mine is a Winchester Model 12 trap grade. I stole it for 350 bucks. The store guy thought it a fake, it's not. It did have a field butt stock on it.

“Also, when a semi jams up, what are you gonna do about the BG?”
Same thing you do when you run out of shells, you use the butt to bash in some skulls
When you gotta defend your self and family, you do whatever it takes

Last edited:
That's funny. At an NTI FOF long ago, we had a mystery gun stage. You were in a 360 degree shoot house. You were wearing a large smock to simulate being naked in bed. You had a coach gun and a box of mixed 12 gauge rounds. Buck shot and birdshot. So at the start (simulating a break in), you had to take the gun and box of shells and negotiate the scenario, inside and outside.

So moving, loading, identifying surprise targets - quite a fun time. At one point, I fired two rounds at two targets. Suprise target appears next to me. So, I butt stroked it. The ref said that worked.

Running out of ammo in close quarters FOF - neat practice.

One issue is that many, if not most, quality semi-autos are imported. Due to import restriction they cannot have full-capacity magazine tubes installed. So, the end user is forced to use and install a variety of aftermarket American made mag tubes while simultaneously balancing 922r compliance. Also less aftermarket parts and accessories are available compared to US shotguns.

Now there are some good US made semi-autos that can be suitable for defense work, but some are made by companies with questionable quality control or are unproven in service. I think many just buy an inexpensive domestic pump for home defense, and there are many good ones to choose from.

one of the main perks some people find with a semi-auto shotgun is the negligible recoil or "kick" they get compared to a pump shotgun.

I shot some informal, just for fun, local clay shooting events for a year or two. Mostly trap singles, but some 5 stand, buddy shoots, and other more entertaining games. Always a few pumps on the line. Whenever we got into doubles the number o short chucks was always astounding.
Unless you are practicing a lot with your pump I don't think it will run any more reliably than most semi-autos.

I think it boils down to 3 things.

1)Price of firearm purchase to begin with. Would you rather shorten up a $300 pump, or a $1,200 semi? Most semi's are of a "higher quality" with scroll work and such driving the price up.

2) Availability and cost associated with accesories. Light rails etc are made and fairly inexpensive for pumps, not so much for semi.

3) I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound.

“...I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound...”

Yeah, that sound works great, right after the BOOM of the first round firing.

“...I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound...”

Yeah, that sound works great, right after the BOOM of the first round firing.
You better be cautious. Most shotguns such as the Mossberg and Remington are not drop safe. Knock the gun over or drop it at the wrong time and prepare to be dealing with a big hole you didn't plan on patching, and that's a best case scenario brother.

Read up on cruiser ready, brother. Thank me later.

Thanks ,now I've had my laugh for today !! :D
To think that a perp can hear the racking of a shotgun is a poor assumption if he's high on opioids and meth and alcohol . Even if he can hear it does he care ? If you insist - it should be rack -bang NOT rack then carefully watch for a proper reaction .
Try to live in the real world rather than with old worn out myths !! :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, I do store my Mossberg 500 chamber empty under normal circumstances.
I merely scoff at the old rack it and scare them away theory. And, I accept that I will be racking my shotgun before utilizing it, in most cases.

Back