Semi-Auto Shotgun For Clays

Kind of a side issue, but LGS support will play a part, when you first start out. When I stop by a LGS around here, all I get are blank stares :confused: when I talk about the 3-B's (Browning, Benelli, and Beretta). The newer Mossbergs & Remingtons they know, but for anything else you're on your own...:rolleyes:

I really am not in the market for a semi for myself, but that 1187 is in Kansas City where my son goes to school. But then I am working on getting something for the wife and daughter. But it does look elegant.

Dragline45: I've read very good reviews of the Weatherby SA-08 Semi-automatic especially their flexible gas operation system, with interchangeable piston rings...one for light loads and one for heavy. I also have a friend who just bought one and he likes his. It's within your budget, new.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you at least look at the offerings from Beretta ...new and used for gas guns.../ maybe even a Browning if you can find a used Gold model in 12ga or one of the newer Silver series.../ but one of the Remington's would probably be ok as well.

Another Remington 1100 fan. Get a Classic Trap model. Very solid, reliable, proven design with minimal recoil.

I am gas action fan and a Remington guy, but the Beretta 390s were fine guns and next on my list (in fact I think they peaked with that one). Truth be told, just about any recent semi auto from Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Franchi, Mossberg, Remington, Weatherby, or Winchester will function. It comes down to the one you like the look and feel of the best.
Remember, the biggest enemy of any semi auto is the nut on the back of the stock. Good luck.

I personally wouldn't buy an 11-87 based on what I've heard- just butt-tons of complaints mostly based on it's inability to function if it is even a little bit dirty. This is not first hand experience, but I've heard anecdotes from a few reliable sources which have heavily influenced my opinion on that gun.

I'm probably going to get some moans for suggesting this, but I am a HUGE fan of the Winchester SX3. I had the pump version (I am small framed with fairly small hands and found it to be the most comfortable shotty I've ever handled besides my Super Sport), and decided to get the semi when I started dinking around the 3-gun course. Fabulous price point, a dream to maneuver, and in my opinion very sleek and pretty to look at. It feels great too- A reassuring but not unwieldy weight and very high quality feeling materials- not slippery if it's raining or your hands sweat. Doesn't feel cheap like most polymer shotguns do. Worth a look if you're in a store anyway.

I have had 1100s since 1963 and an 11-87 off and on since 1987. I have sold I don't know how many and worked on many more. In my opinion most of the troubles attributable to the 1100s/11-87s are due to that nut on the back of the stock I mentioned. I have seen a few parts failures, and you can attribute that to what you will, but the only part I have ever had fail on 14 different personal ones was the extractor on my '63 Model 1100, and Remington redesigned that part on the 11-87. That tells me something. They do not run as clean as some newer designs, but I have never had one stop, even with filthy Blue Dot reloads. They are not as flexible as some newer designs, but I have multiple guns so no problem. If you don't like them that's fine, but do not say they do not work. I do not like any inertia action I have seen, but I didn't say they don't work.

I LOVE my classic trap. Shoot it about every other weekend on some clays and it shoots like a dream! Got mine for $900 brand new and that was on sale so that one that Dreaming100Straight posted for $550 looks like a steal! I'll never sell mine...

If you get an 1100/11-87, remember to clean it after you shoot it, one round or 500 - not before, except the first time. The powder residue from some loads can collect moisture and get hard or gummy and corrode the blued steel mag tube on an 1100; one reason they went stainless on the 11-87.

And please for the rest of us. Bring a big rubber band, or buy a shell catcher.

Some semi-autos can be bad about pelting your squad mates with hulls. Don't know about the Remington guns per se.

At least bring a rubber band, just in case. Once you know how your guns ejects hulls you will know if you need a shell catcher.

A big rubber band is an effective substitute. The guy to your right might have a 20K gun, he won't be amused if it gets hit by an empty.

If you get an 1100/11-87, remember to clean it after you shoot it, one round or 500 - not before, except the first time. The powder residue from some loads can collect moisture and get hard or gummy and corrode the blued steel mag tube on an 1100;

You're saying clean the inside of the mag tube? I have never had to do this after every range trip with my pump guns, though my pump guns are parkerized. Is this a result of it being gas operated?

At least bring a rubber band, just in case. Once you know how your guns ejects hulls you will know if you need a shell catcher.

A big rubber band is an effective substitute. The guy to your right might have a 20K gun, he won't be amused if it gets hit by an empty.

I'll keep that in mind.

i run several 1100,s and two 11/87, a trap and a premier and all of them have gone to my 600 round break down cleaning with out a stoppage. before that i just take the barrel off and clean the barrel with a few strokes of a rod and clean off the outside of the magizing tube and lightly lube the action. i run red dot and blue dot(i have several 8 lbs jugs) in most reloads and use mec progressive reloaders that size the shell base, when i use the mec 650 for special reloads i size and decap in a old blue lackmiller tool. i have seen jams in auto loaders when the cheap wichester universal shells ect, were loaded with out sizing the steel bases.(no fault of the shotgun). i do like my browning o/u,s a little better for doubles. eastbank.

No, you do not need to clean the inside of the mag tube often unless you get it dirty or go for a swim with it. The gas parts run on the outside of the mag tube. A quick 5 minute spray and wipe of those anytime you shoot it will keep it running well a looooooong time. I clean the inside of my barrels maybe twice a year. I do NOT own a bore snake, or want one. Nasty device that only collects powder residue and gets it on other things. I do not kill non-poisonous ones, but I don't like any snakes.
If you do shoot trap, you will want to keep the empties from hitting other shooters. A rubber band will work, or you can drill a hole in the barrel extension and make a knock down pin like Remington installs on the trap models with a small piece of #10 or #8 wire, too.

I use a Birchwood Casey Save-It shell catcher when shooting trap with my SA. $12 and on in seconds...no drilling (universal fit). Fold the wire down to shoot doubles or more. No catching then, though.

Back