Semi-Auto Shotgun For Clays

Dragline45

Looking for a decent semi-auto shotgun for clays in the $600-$800 range. Would love some recommendations. So far I have been eyeing the Remington 11-87, any input is appreciated.

IMO, you would be really to go with a Remington 11-87 ( A 28" barrel, a couple of screw in chokes (Light Mod, & I.C.), and a box of #8's...:):)

Don't have any recommendations for a gun, sorry, but I will say an over under is likely a better choice if you are going to be shooting competitively. My uncle recently went a skeet/clay club, and all the members there talked him into a $2200 Beretta over/under. Not saying you should get something that expensive, but an over under is a very popular choice for the uses you need it for.

John

I agree the 11-87 is a good choice for semi, but may I ask why you are looking at a semi instead of a over/under. I mean the semi works great too just wondering why you want it.

John

I agree the 11-87 is a good choice for semi, but may I ask why you are looking at a semi instead of a over/under. I mean the semi works great too just wondering why you want it.

John

Lighter weight and softer recoil?

The 1100 and 11-87 will both work. I have lots of O/Us and Autos and see lots of Autos at Registered Shoots. Nice, but not necessary.

We have a guy at our club with an old side by side with dual triggers and no rib. He patterned the gun and it was shooting low so he took some 1" x 1" rounded the top and screwed it into the top of the butt stock to make a higher comb and he regularly goes straight with it on the skeet field. And he shoots low gun.

Bob

Look around for a good used Beretta gas gun. They are light years ahead of the Remingtons. I've shot a LOT of clays over the last twenty years and I'm just going to say that you don't see any Remingtons being used by any of the better shooters and very few being used at all. I've gone to large shoots and not seen even one in use. I have seen some top shooters using Beretta gas guns and they do very well with them. They are adjustable for pitch and cast/off cast/on. You can make them fit fairly easily. You can't do that at all with the Remingtons.

In that price range the 11-87 or 1100 is the way to go. I like the Beretta a little better, but it is a lot more expensive. It sounds like for your needs the Remington is probably the best bet.

I will also recommend the 11-87 / 1100. Both are very good shotguns for getting your feet wet in clays. Now there are others that are more advanced but they come with a more advanced price tag.

Don't have any recommendations for a gun, sorry, but I will say an over under is likely a better choice if you are going to be shooting competitively

Not in his price range

You MIGHT get lucky and find a Beretta 303, 390,391 used at your budget, but otherwise, the above advice about Remingtons is sound.

Thanks for the replies all, I am going to look for a Remington 11-87. I will not be shooting competitively so an uber expensive over under is not something I need.

I have had them all. The only ones left are the Remington 1100s. An 11-87 is 99% 1100, and that's good. Look for a used 11-87 Premier if you have the chance.

Like this for $550.

3956913_01_remington_11_87_premier_12_gua_640.jpg

That does look like a nice one. There are several on GunBroker too.
Dragline, if you do get an 11-87 and it has trouble with light loads, don't panic. It's a VERY easy no gunsmithing fix. Most of them don't have an issue, but some do.

I have my eye on the new remington V3 hopefully out this summer. With any luck they will have a nice finish and not a boring matte type. We shall see!

Dreaming,

Sweet, just add a I.C.,& L.M. choke, along with some card broad & duct tape, and you're really to go...:):cool:

Back