• O/U 26" barrels

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Semi-Auto 28" or longer barrel

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • O/U 28" or longer barrels

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Irrelevant. I asked what people with a lot of rounds would choose and why. :)
Few more notes on my O/U experience.

I started in 2005 with a new Ruger Red Label All Weather in 12 ga. After 2 years I started having mechanical issues of light strikes. I put up with it for awhile then spent money on a gunsmith. After another year the issues came back again. Another trip to the smith and it only lasted another year. Not a good record for maybe 4k of shooting with a gun that cost $1300. I sold it and bought a used Browning Superposed from 1956.

I paid $900 for the Browning which has seen at least 4k of shooting since I've owned it plus another 200k of the owner before me and it's still going strong. I would have no hesitation in buying a used Browning or Beretta, they are solid performers.

Looking back to when I first wanted an O/U, I was told stick with Browning or Beretta and you can't go wrong. The Ruger Red Label was a lesson of what not to buy, and I still have the bad taste of that mistake.

The universal gun is a huge compromise.
At the extremes, I would not care to shoot my 6.4 lb SxS for a day's skeet, or hump my Broadway or 1100 TA in the woods.

Agree Jim. I own a literal flock of shotguns, SAs, Pumps, SxS, and while I have three I prefer (a Browning, an M2 and a P12), I would not want to have just one. Thanks for your thoughts. I have long felt that "fit" is a dominant feature of any shotgun on any budget.

Well, for a "gentleman's gun" on top of all that, I would want something on the light and handy side, to be used more for upland game and a comfortable amount of clay pigeons for practice.
Once upon a time, that would have been a SxS but a friend's Benelli Ultra Light leans me towards a modern auto. She says the guys make fun of her girlie gun at the start of the day in the cornfield, but are "willing to give it a try" after a while. It is kind of a kicker, which would incline me to the Beretta gas op instead of the Benelli "inertial" action.

One of my Berettas is the 3.5" green Xplor Unico. My wife uses it as her sporting gun since it only weighs 7# and with the Kick Off system it is a soft shooter. Sporting a 28" barrel, and with shims to adjust fit for LH and RH shooters, I would consider it to be a decent one gun for all situation if it came down to one for both hunting and clays.

When i was younger i had a Savage 242 o/u 410/410.
Loved that gun.
A little heavy, but deadly on rabbits and pheasants.
One i regret greatly in letting go.

Ok, off to Gunbroker to find a replacement...

mark...your choices call for 26" or 28" bbls. youre limiting yourself. why?
i would be glad to offer an answer if youd give us some more info about you.
all youre getting is preferences from people who are all different sizes.
its tainting your data collection because you dont (know us)
tell us about you.
(its something all people with 50,000 rounds under their belt should normally ask.)

i would be glad to offer an answer if youd give us some more info about you.
all youre getting is preferences from people who are all different sizes.
its tainting your data collection because you dont (know us)
tell us about you.

Like I said, that is irrelevant. I have the shotguns I prefer and they have been fit perfectly to me and I do very well with them. I am getting (from most) what I asked for on the thread...their preferences and the why. Again, your pestering is irrelevant to my questions.

im not pestering. i asked a very very simple question with the intent on helping you. communication is two ways. if you dont answer questions, im not going to just post aimless data. so, unless you talk with me (in an open forum) im not going to add anything. you got a whole spread of ideas already but it is meaningless unless we know something about you.
so, in review, im not pestering. im just asking you what your height and lop is so i can give you good info.
but ive lost interest.
good luck and shoot well.

Last edited:
Back