Sellior & Bellot ammo

RonH

Ammodeal has 115 grain 9mm S&B ammo for $100 per 1,000. Is this ammo very good quality? Accurate? Will the cases be good quality for reloading? You cannot buy 1,000 new cases and bullets to load for that price! Anyone who has experience with this ammo please respond. I will be using it in a CZ 75B and a BHP. Thanks Ron

The Sellier and Bellot ammo is good plinking ammo. I consistently got around 1300 fps out of my Glock 17, using their copper alloy jacketed 115 grain FMJ ammo that comes in a green, yellow, and grey box.

100 bucks for 1000 rounds is a good price (5 bucks per box of 50!), and if that includes shipping, stock up!

The brass is excellent quality, although the primer pockets are a bit tighter than other brands. I've reloaded S&B brass with my own load (124 grain FMJ @ 1220 fps) and have found that S&B brass is as strong as any brand out there.

S&B also makes another version of their 9 mm 115 grain FMJ ammo that comes in a red and grey box. This stuff uses a steel jacket instead of a copper alloy jacket, and clocks out a wee bit hotter from my Glock 17 than the green/yellow/grey box stuff. Very difficult to find.

Buy it!

S&B is good European ammo. Loaded hotter than American stuff and is plenty accurate. I use it for IDPA and have never had a bad round.

Any idea of what their shipping charge is? That is a really good price, if they don't totally burn you on shipping.

Depending on how far they are shipping it, expect UPS charges for a case of 9mm to run $17 to $20. Even with the freight, you're still at, or under $120 a case. Not a bad price at all.

FWIW, Century Arms sells cases of PMP 9mm for $109 including shipping, so it'd be cheaper than the S&B once you add on $20 or so for shipping. The $10 difference may or may not be a deciding factor for you, though, if you prefer S&B. I have used PMP and found it to be pretty good, but on the mild side. Haven't used S&B but have heard it's quite good.

I've used both S&B & PMP, and I'd pay the extra $10 for the case of S&B in a heartbeat. Good ammo from all my experience.

I have to second the call for the S&B over PMP. All 1500 rounds of S&B I have shot in .45 have been excellent and the brass quality is good too. A friend shot one box of Korean made PMP and it was D-I-R-T-Y !

Actually, PMP = Praetoria Metal Pressings, and is a South African company.

PMC = Precision Made Cartridges, or can also be known as Pan Metal Corporation and PMC Ammo (formerly known as Patton Morgan Corporation). The company is based in Nevada, and started out by importing arms and ammo from South Korea.

PMC has manufacturing facilities world wide, and is the fourth largest manufacturer in the USA.

Both companies make good plinking ammo.

I'm a really big fan of S&B. Have used it almost exclusively in my Glock 21 for IDPA, and have not had a single misfire or FTF. I have also found the accuracy to be very, very good.

IMO, it's the best of the "cheap" ammo, and is as good as stuff that costs much, much more.

RE: S&B primer pockets.
I think the tightness comes from the red laquer(?) used to seal the primer. I had a couple of S&B .45acp cases that I couldn't get a primer into. I used the flat side of a flat blade screwdriver to scrape the primer pockets and the primers went in fine after that.

S&B is good stuff. I haven't reloaded any of the 9mm yet, but if it's anything like the .45acp, I'd buy it mainly for the brass.

S&B is my favorite ammo.:D It has been flawless through thousands of rounds in my 9mms. Given the choice, I'm willing to spend a bit more on it than settling for cheaper ammo simply for cost. I see that CTD now is stocking the S&B JHP load. I'd like to know if anyone has tried it yet.

My experience with one case of PMP left me feeling it stands for, "Pretty Meek Performance".:( In all fairness, though, it was just ONE case.:)

Re: primer pockets

The tightness of the primer pockets of S&B brass does not seem to be dependent on the red lacquer.

At an IDPA match, I accidentally spilled some No-AD SPF40 sunblock on a few rounds of 9 mm 115 grain S&B FMJ (copper alloy jacket), and to my surprise, the lacquer came off quite easily.

Most organic solvents wouldn't even dent the lacquer!

Anyways, I fired these rounds without a hitch, and when I reloaded them, the pockets still had the same tightness that the others did.

I was using Fiocchi's leadless small pistol primers, which tend to be a wee bit larger than Winchester, Federal, CCI, or Remington small pistol primers.

Hello, all. S&B's inexpensive and sealed against moisture at both the primer and the case mouth. Grand for storage, but temperatures still need to be kept constant as with any ammo for best long-term use.

I've used S&B in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP. 9mm is the only caliber of the three in which I noted less-tight groups on
more than one occassion. If memory serves, at 15 yards, two-handed, two inch groups were the norm with the Winchester and a bit tighter with some handloads, but the S&B went into about 3" or maybe just a little more.

In .45 and .40, the ammo shot about as well as anyone else's ball rounds in the same price range.

I personally will not use S&B for anything other than knocking holes in paper so if it doesn't group for me, it's of little use to me. I reload. The tight primer pockets are usuable, but something I can do without if I can get cases from other makes at about the same price.

In all three calibers, I've had occassional problems with "hard primers." The pin smacks the primer but doesn't even make a dent on some occassions and this is with 1911s and P35s, both of which have standard mainsprings known to be more potent than needed. On average, this happens perhaps 3 times out of a thousand. Not much, but too much for anything
serious.

It is possible that there are two types of S&B 115 gr ball out there as I keep reading about how "hot" it is! I've chronographed the green and yellow w/gray boxes of 115 gr ball and it falls between 1140 and 1160 ft/sec depending upon lot. Some are claiming 1300 ft/sec, but perhaps they have another version of 9mm from S&B. In the other two calibers I've tried it in, velocities for the bullet weights were not remarkable, being about typical.

A few weeks ago, a buddy and I were shooting in some of his forty-fives, two new Kimbers. We fired about 200 rnds per
pistol and he was using S&B .45ACP 230 gr ball. He had one failure to fire and one round had no powder in it. I fired one that had such a low report that I checked the bbl to see that the bullet had been pushed out and it had.

Over the chronograph, I've had wide, wide velocity spreads with S&B ammunition.

While I'm not a big S&B supporter, if you like it and have had no problems, great. Still, as much of it as I've shot at
different times and different lots, I am given pause to reflect on whether or not it's a bargain.

Best to all and good shooting.

S&B in a CZ-75B

Ron, if you look under the foam in the top of the box your CZ-75B came in, you will see a computer generated test target with all sorts of info on your gun. The ammo they use at the CZ factory to test these pistols in 9mm are S&B 115gr FMJ.

For what it's worth . . .

Primer pockets

In my experience, most S&B brass has crimped primer pockets (as does most US mil-spec ammo). I have had to swage the pockets on S&B brass before reloading.

Back