Selling your C&R guns to a non-licensee

My plan is to have this for the initial period(3 years I believe), then let it lapse. By then I will have the vast majority of C&R guns I want. I am just looking for a way to save on FFL transfer fees. After the three years and my license lapses I just keep the book and forget all the extra regulations, right?

johnwilliamson062 said:
My plan is to have this for the initial period(3 years I believe), then let it lapse. By then I will have the vast majority of C&R guns I want. I am just looking for a way to save on FFL transfer fees. After the three years and my license lapses I just keep the book and forget all the extra regulations, right?

You don't have to keep your book, if you don't want to. You would no longer be licensed or required to maintain the book or to send it to the BATF.

You can do with it what you wish.

To me, the C&R distinctly separates me from dealers, as a collector. This license simply facilitates the transfer of weapons from one individual to another across state lines, freeing licensed dealers from this burdensome process. Once transfered, those weapons are private property and not under the regulation of the federal government (note I did not say surveillance).

Note that it is the "if the gun ever was transferred across state lines" that the government uses to regulate guns after they are initially sold. For example, it is a federal crime to knowingly sell your firearm to a convicted felon or someone you know is planning on using it in a crime. They also decided after a few years on the market, that Street Sweeper shotgun you bought was suddenly a Destructive Device and had to be registered.

It is the same "commerce clause" that they use to regulate machineguns. In theory, if you manufactured a machinegun from scratch in your home state, if would be exempt from federal regulation. With the exception of a single court decision, the government does not agree with you.

Back