Selling my Colt Government 380 stainless for a J-frame: to do or not to do?

Yep, you should sell it.

I count on guys like you. Some of my best purchases are from people who wander from gun to gun looking for "it". What ever "it" is.

I'm one of the buy 'em all and keep crowd.

;)

Like a couple others said, keep the Colt and save for the S&W. I too am a snubbie fan. I've got 2 36's and granted I wouldn't trade them for the Colt either.

I'd take the 38spl jframe over the 380 any day of the week. Carried both for a while, but always leaned towards the jframe as my goto CCW. I usually keep it stoked with old school FBI loads like Remington 158gr +P or Corbon 158gr +P+ LSWCHP (alas the latter is not offered any more by Corbon).

You might look for an older j frame in like new condition and start there. A new j frame is a bit rougher that the 70's - 80's guns. Mine is from mid 90's and still pretty nice.

An older one is a closer trade.

Everyone has different financial situations, so I don't judge at all, but I try to keep my firearms separate from any sort of financial necessity, specifically to avoid ever feeling pressure to sell. I'm a big adherent of the "never sell" philosophy. Others are less sentimental.

I'd keep the Colt and save up to buy the Smith.

I try to keep my firearms separate from any sort of financial necessity, specifically to avoid ever feeling pressure to sell. I'm a big adherent of the "never sell" philosophy.

Aaah, you learn well, young grasshopper!!

Back