Selling my Colt Government 380 stainless for a J-frame: to do or not to do?

5-SHOTS

Hi TFL members, I'd like to listen your opinion about the idea to sell my used Colt Government 380 stainless to purchase one of these J-frames (new in box from my local gun shop):
S&W 317 2" .22L.R.;
S&W 317 3" .22L.R.;
S&W 63 3" .22L.R.;
S&W 442 .38SPL+P;
S&W 642 or 642 Pro-Series .38SPL+P.
The fact is that I love snubs and I miss the ones I had (a S&W 649-1 Bodyguard and a Ruger SP101 DAO). I also love to practice DA.
The 317 2" snub would be for alot of DA practice and fun at low cost and some carry in my front pocket around my home;
the 317 3" kit gun just for DA fun and practice;
the 63 3" for DA fun/practice and because I like stainless pistols;
the 442 or the 642 for DA fun, practice and carry but certainly I'll practice less than the .22L.R. revolvers I mentioned due to ammo cost and kick.

So, I'm crazy to sell a nice little out-of-production Colt for a current production S&W J-frame or what? Please, let me know.

You are not crazy.

Are you worried that in the future the Colt may be worth a lot more than now?

A firearm is either an heirloom, a collectors piece, or a tool. Seems like you are trying to decide the category yours is in.

When I am in doubt I just wait a year, save the money, and buy the new one and keep the old one. Works every time.

I do like my S&W 22 (well technically I gave it to my wife):

IMG_1684.JPG

Not crazy, perhaps, but maybe a bit impulsive.

The Colt Government 380 is rapidly becoming one of those "cult" guns, at least in my corner of the world. If you do sell it, you'll almost certainly get a good price for it. However, if you later decide you miss it ... you'll pay dearly to replace it.

Thanks sirgilligan and Aguila Blanca, I think you scored a perfect 10 with your observations; good points for sure. The little Colt seats unfired in its case for almost a year now because I know if something major breaks I have to wait months and months to have it working again. I fired 1200-1300 rounds from it and it's a fun and nice gun; it is always a conversational piece and make me proud to own one every time at the range but I don't want to pocket carry a cocked-and-locked gun and in general I don't like safe queens.
I like so much the idea of a .22L.R. super-light snub to fire thousands and thousands rounds at the range and occasional pocket carry but I can't decide.

I am of the same mindset, I don't own any safe queens, and if a gun sits there not getting used it get's sold. You said it yourself, if you get a .22lr snub it will get a lot of use. That alone should be enough to go for it. As hard as it was for me to sell my beautiful stainless Sig 232, I had no use for it and I sold it for something I could use.

If it's not too much of a financial hardship, keep the Colt and purchase yourself the revolver also. I'm fearful down the road you may regret letting the Colt get away from you.

Yeah I like those colt 380s they are hard to find.

Its hard to recommend selling of any discontinued gun for a normal production one.

Another "Keep IT!.....Man, I wish I had back all the guns I had to sell to pay taxes etc. I only have tools now and believe me, it's not the same as having something you like to take out occasionally to admire the workmanship and just to gloat that you have it and few others do. Again, Keep it.

"Sell my gun"..... does not compute. ;)

I vote to keep the Colt, then save up to buy the J-frame.

Bought my Colt Government .380 about 30 years ago - shot a box of ammo through it, then put it in the safe. Pretty sweet little pistol that one of my grandkids will undoubtedly love to have:

1911pistols002.jpg

I'd sell it.
I'm not a fan of paying close to .45 prices to get sub 9mm performance, and certainly not in a package that big and heavy (relative to the new micro 380's).
Colt semis are nice enough, but they're nothing special, and if nostalgia is driving up the prices right now I'd try to sell it before people realize why it's no longer in production.

I like the idea of saving to get a second gun (if you want 2 of them), but I'd do it a little differently.
Sell it, buy the SW, and then save up and buy a second gun that you actually want, and will use. Maybe have a SW in .22 and one in .38spl.

Keep the old, buy the new is what I would do. I'd lean toward the 38SPL because it can be carried (well, I guess they all COULD be carried, but I'd want the larger hole option of the 38).

Update: I was just at the local gun store and they had a new little Kimber 380, they had a new Colt 380, and plenty of the Sig's in 380. All of them were almost identical.

The Kimber actually has a single locking lug on the barrel. You can see a picture in the owners manual on page 61. http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/Kimber-Micro-Manual.pdf

The Colt Mustang has a single locking lug on the barrel.
misc028.jpg

The SIG does not have a locking lug.
SIGSAUERP238Review067_zps8dcfbb90.jpg

With all of the similar firearms in the space I wonder how that effects the price of the original Colt Mustang.

Thanks guys for your opinions. I haven't took a decision yet.
Everything considered probably the best choice could be the S&W 63 3" which seems to be a very nice, durable and fun revolver. No possibility of occasional pocket carry it of course. The jury is still out.

Back