Selling an AR in a police/firehouse parking lot

David Ozlo

Do you think it's wise to set-up a meeting to sell an AR in a police or Firehouse parking lot on any random day unannounced ?
I just don't see this as being wise in today's world. What do you think ?

I understand your apprehension and a lot may depend on the local Police and their attitudes toward gun ownership. Many of the local jurisdictions around here actually have reserved areas in their parking lots for people to conduct these types of transactions. However, since it does involve a firearm I still might go inside and explain ahead of time what would be going on and assure it was ok.

Calling ahead of time would seem like a good idea to me. The last time I did a deal we meant at a local shooting range and that worked out well.

on any random day unannounced ?

Abso-frackin-lutely NOT a good idea.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? A dozen or so cops amped up by a "man with a gun" report, pointing their pistols at you, yelling "DROP IT" and firing 50 or so rounds in your direction before the gun even hits the ground?

Some of those bullets MIGHT hit you, you know...:rolleyes:

If you are looking for the security of doing your business in a public place, make sure BEFOREHAND that the public allows is, and is prepared for it.

Anything else is a huge risk.

Yes it's a good idea where the police know about it.
Some around here will also run the serial number for you.
(Other states may not be as friendly as Texas.)

The last time I did a deal we meant at a local shooting range

That sounds like a good idea. Especially if you can have the gun on the firing line and include firing the gun as part of the sale.

However one range I go to has the video cameras covering their parking lot and I think they'd get upset if they saw folk with uncased guns in their parking lot. They want all guns to be cased until you are on their shooting line.

I would avoid that situation.
If one of the parties really wants the deal to go down where he feels he will be the safest, then it would probably be worthwhile to call the PD and A) ask for 'permission', B) ask for legality, and C) ask for advice on not getting shot by an officer returning to file a report.

A serious consideration could be whether or not there are a jail or other holding cells on site; or if there's a courthouse attached.
In some jurisdictions, it is illegal for a civilian to have a firearm on the premises, even if it's not a controlled area, if there are holding cells, official detention facilities, or court facilities.

That, alone, keeps people in my area from being able to go to the local PD or sheriff's office for a transfer. The sheriff's office is also the county jail, and the PD has holding cells (...and is also attached to a courthouse annex).

For FTF transfers, I prefer parking lots that have a lot of traffic, but aren't always packed.

...But calling around to see if a dealer will handle the transfer for a nominal fee isn't a bad idea, either.

Some LE agencies in my neck of the woods have a brightly lit video-monitored area of their parking lots set up as a secure place for people to meet for internet-originated transactions. If it was a firearm, I would probably call first so they knew what was going on, but I like the idea of the facility being provided for public safety.

Why would you go there to sell a gun anyways?

Making an internet arranged firearm sale (or most anything else) in a relatively safe public place is just a good idea. I think a firehouse or police station is a good idea, as long as they are aware and approve of the use of their parking lot for the transfer.

The last gun I bought from an unknown person, we met in a Walmart parking lot.
Of couse, being Alaska, no one really bats an eye at two guys passing a rifle back and forth and ooohing and ahhhing.

:D

Ricekila "Selling an AR in a police/firehouse parking lot"

Nope
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
A number of police departments across the country have internet exchange zones for exactly this purpose. You might roll your eyes in New York, but in the free states it's common practice.

Dogtown Tom aptly said:
...but in the free states it's common practice.

In places that don't have a corporate fear of weapons, this doesn't seem to be a problem. Conversely, when you read an article that 'police took down an arsenal' (of 2 handguns and 50 rounds or ammo), I don't think that meets Dogtown Tom's criteria.

Could be a great opportunity to get to know the local police better. Maybe don't mention the type of gun and wait to see if they ask. If they get really curious about that it may not be a great location, if not it might be.

I often take my lunch break in my car parked on a bluff that overlooks a big chain store parking lot. For a couple of weeks I wondered why I kept seeing so many drug deals when there were so many secluded areas for that activity so close.

Then I realized that the dealers were using the parking lot security cameras as free protection. That could be an option too.

Some LEO stations in Fla have spots set aside for private transactions.
Of course there are video monitors and everything is recorded.

The LEO's don't approach or get involved in any way.

It's super cool having that amount of security.

AFS

Back