Sell safe Queens or keep them?

Another way for us old guys to deal with the guns we can't take with us is to leave them to deserving folks in your will.
Then you can still enjoy having them without worrying about your relatives having to deal with them after you've gone to that shooting range in the sky.

Just because I don't shoot them doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. Most of the guns I buy I never intend on shooting. I often buy a gun because I think there is something unique or interesting about it. If I only bought guns to shoot, I'd have

2 rifles - one AR for plinking and my Savage 30-06 for hunting;
1 shotgun - a Baikal O/U that I tend to use more often for skeet and and sporting clays;
2 handguns - my Diamondback DB9 - carry gun and my Sig X-Five Competition - for range and competing.

Except for my X-Five, those are some of my least favorite guns!

I personally have sold a few back to an FFL, but I really did not like or have a use for the ones I got rid of. The proceeds of the sales went towards others or ammo that I do have a use for. I don't have any "safe queens", I admit that I have several that only see occasional use, but I have them for a specific intent, such as a specific hunting season, or specific competition.

Maybe sell it for the .22 or .22 magnum version? That way you still get to have the gun but in a caliber that you can afford to shoot more frequently?

I've sold only a few guns that I never shoot. Sold my only 12G shotgun because I had shot it twice in a year and a half and it was only a tool for bird hunting (which I never got the chance to do). I don't regret it at all. When I want another shotgun, I'll buy another one that's suited for whatever purpose I want to use it for.

I almost sold my Mosin Nagant. Hadn't shot it in a year and a half. Then I looked at the value it would bring vs. the value it had to me (first gun I ever bought for experimenting with gunsmithing projects) and decided to keep it.

I have made gifts of many a gun, and do not regret a single one...

I have sold two guns in my life, and to this day wonder what the heck I was thinking...

:rolleyes:

It's hard to sell a gun that you may no longer like but which can't be replaced. Some guns just can't be found again. I did sell one of my guns that cannot be replaced, but I got enough money for it purchase two Colt Pythons. The plan was to eventually sell the two Pythons and have enough money for a Sig AMT. Problem is that I have now become attached to the Pythons.

if you are rich don't sell them, give them as gifts.

if you are not rich, sell them for something you'd actually get enjoyment from.

I prescribe to the "I don't sell guns" method... most of the time.

I have sold some guns in the past that I'm happy to see gone. I will never own another Armalite AR, as I had an M15 that was HORRIBLE. FCG pins would walk, the front handguard shroud broke loose, and the buffer tube was SOOOO rough from machine marks that you literally could hear the buffer spring scratching over the muzzle report. Sold it to a neighbor, losing money on accessories but I was happy to see it go.

I sold a Saiga 223 that was horribly inaccurate. I couldn't stand that rifle. It would go bang no matter what, but shooting less than 3" groups at a hundred yards was not going to happen. 4+" groups if you didn't have the right ammo.

I sold a few that I hated to see go. It was post 2008 and there was a run on ammo. Prices spiked, and I was shocked that I couldn't find WWB in .45acp anymore. If I could, I would have to pay $35.00 per hundred. While that's a normal price now, I was used to abour .22 cents per round back in the day. So I sold some 1911's and just went with 9mm firearms to save money... which was tight at the time. I wish I could go back and undo that... but I'm not so sure I would have been able to scrape by either way. It was also when they were almost giving four wheel drive trucks away, and I sold a 6 year old truck with 60k miles on it for less than 8 grand. Those were some tough times, and I had to make do. Would have never sold them if that wasn't the case.

I don't sell guns. I've traded 2 to my brother and one to my sister-in-law's husband because they had a need for them more than I did. I buy guns with extra or spare money. Financially, they don't exist in my mind. All of my guns are different and I have them only because it is a type of gun I always wanted. I may never shoot my snub nose revolver again but I will keep it just because it is a snub nose revolver. Some of my guns may sit in by gun cabinet or safe for 10-15 years and when I shoot them, it was like I shot and cleaned them yesterday. It's nice to have something that stays pristine with little effort. I sold my antique car and motorcycle because they have to have attention to keep them in good shape and they still deterioriate.

I'll never sell my grandfather's Winchester Model 92 .25-20 or his Winchester Model 1897 12 ga. with no blueing and no rust. I sold all of the Ariska rifles I inherited, including those that had been "sporterized" in "modern" stocks in the 50's.

Back