Sell safe Queens or keep them?

Kvon2

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on guns they don't shoot.

I've got a Rossi Circuit Judge that is a ton of fun to shoot but I rarely do due to the price of ammo.

If you realize you're not shooting one of your toys much, do you look in to selling it or do you hang on to it not knowing what might happen in the future?

Personally I dont sell guns.
I have a few that dont see much use but Ill hang on to um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends if it has sentimental value or not. I have a few long guns that I never shoot but were handed down from my dad and father in-law, so no. but if it was bought thinking I just have to have that gun but ended up not liking it then yes I would sell.

I was in a situation back in the 70's and I had to sell some guns to feed my kids and pay the bills. I miss those guns to this day but that is ok I had no other choice.
If not in a situation like that I would not sell my guns. My wife and children come first above all else.

If there is no family history or other sentimental value and they don't get used they are gone. Usually replaced with something I'll use.

I personally do not sell any of my guns either. 1. Luckily, i have no financial need to do so at this time, 2. Always a concern that it is registered to me and you can never foretell what another human may do with his tool, and 3. If no present need for additional money, they are not hurting anything locked away in my safe. Just my thoughts, but i do realize not everyone is in the same family or financial situations as others.
Chris

Yeah, I don't NEED to sell it but my thought is I could use the money to pay for something I might use more.

I once sold or traded guns that I never used. Then I ended up regretting some of the decisions, so I decided to just keep everything. However, now I’m starting to rethink that as I have several guns that I don’t shoot, have no emotional attachment to and that could easily be replaced if I had second thoughts.

What JMR40 said. I keep the only heirloom from my grandfather, his shotgun, the rest I don't shoot get sold to make room.

The Circuit Judge is a pretty cool 'toy', but like my AK pistol, it's utility was significantly limited.

You don't have to actually shoot them to enjoy owning them.
You might apply the following test to help you decide:
Every so often every one you own will need to see daylight, if for no other reason than to check for rust, clean and lube.
As you are handling it, do you still have an affinity for it or not.
If so, continue with the cleaning and such and put it back.
If not, sell it without regret.
It isn't as if they need constant attention just sitting there.

Another consideration that I have never seen in response to such questions, is age. At seventy-three, I have sold most of the guns I seldom shot because I had no real use for them anymore and did not know what would happen to them should I die (I remember a gun shop owner low-balling a widow who was trying to sell her dead husband's stuff...he told her that the RCBS priming system was, "...just a cleaning rod" her husband had, "rigged-up"). I rationalized that it was better for me to sell the stuff and get a decent price rather than her being taken advantage of.

So, if you are old (or older than), as me and you don't shoot them anymore, consider selling them and doing something worthwhile with the money...you cannot take them with you after all.

I think it boils down to whether you consider yourself a "collector" or not. For me, I don't collect guns. Guns are tools for me, and each one needs to fullfill a role, or multiple roles with the intent on actually shooting them outside of the pure enjoyment of going "bang". Nor do I buy a gun with any sort of real emotion involved. I suppose if I inherited a bunch of guns from Dad or Gramps that had sentimental value, there'd be a bigger safe, but that's different than "collectible value" or stuff that I bought for myself because I wanted it... the emotion involved with selling an inherited gun is different than a gun you bought yourself... so I suppose I'll never get rid of Dads 10/22 because that's what I learned to shoot on and what my girls will learn on after they graduate up from the Rascal, but again, different way to look at it.

I completely understand the guy who owns 20 Colt Pythons and wishes he owned 100 "just because"... but it's not me.

I own about a dozen guns and each one has a job... hunting, SD, HD, training, teaching, zombies, etc... but if I found another gun that did a better job or was worth the upgrade, I'd sell it without a second thought. Or if a gun didn't cut the mustard (as several haven't), it'd be gone.

About the farthest I'd go for "want to buy just because" is a Ruger Vaquero... channel my inner bad-ass cowboy. Plus knowing how to shoot SA quick and accurate might come in handy someday... never know.

Pass them on to people that will enjoy and shoot them. You will not get what you paid for them but the new found cash in your pocket can be used to purchase guns you'll enjoy.
To me guns are tools and/or toys. I'm not too attached to them anymore than I'd be to a screwdriver or baseball.

Really? You are worried about what to do with a Rossi? What would you even get for it towards a new gun? It takes up almost no room, why worry about it? Just this year I pulled out a rifle I had not hunted with or shot in about 10-15 years. It is of little value, but it did the job. I do that a lot (Let guns sit). The way guns are moving right now, you are probably going to take a beating selling it.

I have a few I could likely part with. I have not hunted in several years and have several hunting rifles. Among them a Ruger Model 77 Left Hand 7mm Rem Mag. While I can still enjoy shooting a .308 bolt gun the 7mm magnum is somewhat punishing to shoot. I am at a point where another good gun safe is needed and likely will need it anyway for my hand gun collection.

It's not like we need the money so I just keep some guns I seldom if ever shoot anymore. Hell, maybe the grand kids will want them. :)

Ron

Unless you are REALLY hard up for cash or you have an ex-wife's gun to dispose of NEVER NEVER sell a gun. You will regret it as you go forward in your life. I have and I regretted it almost immediately. It sets on you like a case of buyer's remorse, in reverse.

If the caliber has a 4 in it or 30 it will never be sold.
But then again I don't have any hangar queens.
NEVER NEVER sell a gun. You will regret it as you go forward in your life.
HK93
HK91
HK P7
S&W 27
I can go on but my typing is starttting to deterioriate due to the tears:(

It's not a safe queen if you don't shoot it because you can't afford the ammo, or at least in my definition of the term.

If there is no utility, sentimental attachment, or investing value in a gun it's just taking up space and your money would be better spent on other things.

You could add the word potential in the sentence above if it makes you feel better. You could also make changes to make the guns more useful eg starting to reload.

Back