Self-Defense Strategies While On Campus?

San, i agree that most campuses have blue phones. But that doesn't stop our campus from having a problem with some guy who keeps committing violent crimes. And most people who have something happen to them just decide they don't have the time to call for SafeRide or whatever the campus equivalent is.

When i'm out late, i'm usually with friends, or i'm going a short distance away. I'm a decent runner, so if i'm by myself, it's probably not worth the robber's effort.

I know lots of people carry knives in thier pockets. Just make sure that its not too long (assuming you want to abide by the rules. . . . )

Yes a flashlight is a must....... didn't say your should use it unless your in deep

SanChang.......... the flashlight isn't just for light............hint hint...... It can be used to defend yourself with if need be.........you can also signal with it........ It's nice to light up an area if your getting ready to step in S***. I agree a light can give you away but we are talking a campus not an ambush in Iraq. Do what works for yourself and plan ahead.........and plan smart.....

Good luck and stay safe.....

Found out today that there was a shooting on my campus Tuesday (two slightly wounded). My university only has only 5,000 students and so this is a big deal. Made me think about wearing my bulletproof vest (if it was cold enough for me to hide under a winter coat). Maybe that may not be a bad idea for you too. A vest will be better than nothing against a knife as well. If you are thin, you can get a used one for $150.

hehe

Point taken Rojoe...ambush in Iraq, yes that was probably what I was thinking lol...

:D I should get more creative, I never saw the flashlight hit coming

Yep, now the flashlight makes more sense.

Unless you get a vest with a knife plate, it wont really do well against a knife. Vests work by spreading the impact from a bullet over a large area, but a knife will still penetrate with little trouble.

It'll offer more protection than a thick jacket alone (IMHO). They (distributors of used vests) claim an increase of protection from knives, but they admit that it is not enough to assume that it is enough protection. My impression by feeling my level II A vest is that it seems like it would stop a knife if the person wielding it wasn't strong and if the knife wasn't thin with a sharp point. Wouldn't trust my life though. If someone came at me with a knife while I was wearing it, I would probably run instead of expecting protection. But I would feel a little more secure from sneak attacks with a knife.

Back