self defence from animals?

a canadian olympic athlete was killed by a grizzly bear two days ago in Alberta and i dont think that anything less than a full load 500 grain hammerhead .45-70 would've helped her that much

Sum1_Special said, "i have carried a .22 for years and i'm not going to go out and buy a .44 magnum just because of the animals around here. my only weapons with me is a walking stick, a small knife, and a .22lr pistol. like it or not its all i have and its what i feel comfortable carrying... and if i ever get into trouble, the police might think my .357 is for hunting rather than self defence."

Well, you sure as hell ain't gonna bash a hogs head in with a stick, that's for sure. You might want to go for a bigger knife for pig sticking too. And the .22? Lots of luck. :rolleyes:

I was once charged by a hog in Big Sur California. I had an S&W Model 28 four inch .357 magnum with me. It took two fast shots to stop that hog. A .22 would never have done the job.

I've had several other run ins with wild animals including a rabid coyote, stray dog pack, and one Black Angus bull. He put me up a tree for one hell of a long time.

I seriously think that I'd rather have a bit of a hassle with the police than spend the rest of my life as a cripple because some wild pig ripped the crap out of my leg, or worse. You just might want to think about that.

Paul B.

hey me too

I also used to carry a 22mag ruger revolver in the woods at my parents house in th country. looking back on it, it was just mental security because a 22 is not anything compared to the size of those animals you listed. you will just piss it off unless you are a very good shot. get something bigger or watch your back very well. 22 mags are much better than nothing though. :cool: :cool: :cool:

let me start off with a scenario.

your taking a walk in the woods one day and you stumble upon a very angry animal(dog, pig, bear, whatever) that proceeds to charge or harras you. your in a pair of jeans a t-shirt and jacket, the only protection you have is a small .22 caliber pistol in your coat. how many shots from that pistol do you think it would take to drive away or kill that animal?

If you manage to stumble across a very angry animal, chances are it is you, the human, that has screwed up. If this happens, you apparently will have been in condition white, stumbling blindly through the woods with no real situational awareness. From a wildlife standpoint, that puts your behavior into the prey category.

Think about it. If you stumble across an angry animal, it was angry before you got there. It will undoubtedly be making noises that you should have noticed and quite likely will have been in motion as well. Such an animal should be no surprise to you.

Maybe it wasn't angry before you encountered it, but is now? Quite likely, the animal will interpret your quiet approach as that of an aggressor and the animal may react by trying to defend itself against you.

If you do get attacked, it is because you have failed in your understanding of the situation of being in the woods. As a human, you are soft underbelly all over for the most part. You are a very easy prey animal with few natural defenses. You aren't fast. You don't have big claws. You don't have big teeth. You don't have thick skin or heavy fur. Such pitiful animals are best protected in a herd type of situation where their individual chances of being picked off are slim, but you are traveling alone.

If you are going to be traveling through the woods alone, possessing poor situational awareness, with only light clothing and a .22 for protection, don't count on coming out of the situaiton in good shape. If you are already making that many significant mistakes when you are out in the wild, then you will likely react wrongly when you encounter the animal and probably do many of the behaviors that will help signify you as prey, like running, screaming like a little girl or injured animal).

I have spent a fair amount of time in the backcountry and agree with Capt Charlie. I have seen all kinds of critters. People are big and smart - very few animals will even try to take you on - that includes animals that could take you (like bear or wolf).

I have only ever had one charge by a black bear, and I scared him off by shouting, using my voice like sharp, deep barking - "Hey! Hey! Hey!" I have though been approached by groups of dogs a couple of times, whom I also sent packing by facing them down and throwing front kicks at lead ones who approached - you're much bigger, and if you believe and show that you know you can beat them, they will likely go away. Maybe those two stories make you nervous, but that is from an awful lot of animal encounters - I am more afraid of people than animals, because other people actually are a lot more dangerous. Take a look at violent crime statistics versus animal attack!

The main thing to realize for animals is that they don't know your intent, and they have a concept, just like people, of "personal space". If you get inside that zone, they feel threatened, and even a mouse will attack you to defend itself (I have had that happen too - amazing! ;-)). If you keep a respectful distance, it's very very rare that there will be a problem.

If you still want to carry something to guard against animal attacks, I'd suggest a .357magnum revolver with a 4 or 6 inch barrel, loaded with hunting cartridges (not self defense cartridges). It's not too big, and can be shot reasonably easily, but has the power to kill something that might actually present a threat to you (like bear, mountain lion or boar, or a pack of wild dogs). If you don't mind carrying something in your hands, even better would be something like a lever-action .357magnum carbine.

Back