Self Def Ammo...

Lonegunman,

With respect, I would like to respond to your questions/comments:

Q1) "Regarding 'rapid incapacitation' versus 'killing power' ... several have said rapid incapacitation is the goal, not killing. If so, why not carry a less than lethal weapon?"
A1) There is no rapid and effective less lethal weapon, compared to a firearm. In a time-critical life-or-death situation, no other weapon can ensure the perpetrator is immediately rendered harmless.

Q2) "Also, what are you 'incapicatators' aiming for ...?"
A2) Our objective is the instantaneous elimination of a grave threat of physical harm to ourselves/other innocents.

Q3) "I don't see how anybody could draw the distinction being made here."
A3) The difference may be crucial under the statutes of most jurisdictions. When the aim is to kill the perpetrator, minimum force may not have been utilized. However, when the goal is the direct elimination of the clear threat of severe injury or death to innocents, minimum force has clearly been sought.

Q4) "And remember, a dead criminal leaves one less person in the world to bring a civil suit against you."
A4) You should remember that the felon's family has just as much standing to bring a civil suit as the criminal himself. In fact, damages are likely to be greater -- if liability is found -- because a death creates several torts that are not present in an injury alone.

In terms of .45, the old standby 230 grain Hydra Shok's are the 'defacto standard'.

In compact .45's I believe they are still a competent carry round, but when available prefer the 185 grain +P HS tactical rounds when barrel length is under 4".

I will NOT carry the 165 grain "personal defense" Federal Hydra Shok in my HK compact, due to a RIDICULOUS amount of blinding white muzzle flash. Lots of recoil too, for a round designated as "reduced recoil". Not distinguishable from a 200 grain Hornady +P in terms of recoil but the 165 HS has a LOT of flash.

MY TURN

I recommend Federal 230g Hydra-Shok for anyone who wants great ammo at a reasonable cost.

I personally prefer my load, using the 230g Golden Saber bullet, that launches at 780fps from my personal 1911. I also recommend and use this bullet for higher-velocity customer loads.

But......

For over-the-counter anyone-can-buy I highly recommend using the Fedral 230g Hydra-Shok.

IMNSHO these two are the only choices, followed by the best-for-most-LE 230g Pro Load.

Silly bullets need not apply............

Comments?

Back