Selecting a general purpose .308 round.

I dunno, hunting application is almost always what I am looking at. It is hard to say "This bullet is no good" because of one incident. I guess I have had issues with almost all bullet manufacturers at one time or another. The one thing I do believe is that a bullet should open up at all ranges consistently. This can be changed a little with reloading, but not much. That is one thing reloading will not fix.

Go to Walmart/Academy etc...., buy a box of Winchester, Remington and Federal 150 gr 308. See which one groups the best and you'll have your winner.

buy a box of Winchester, Remington and Federal 150 gr 308. See which one groups the best and you'll have your winner.

Easy route; however, I'm with Wyosmith and Bamaranger. I started loading the 308 in 1969. Of the cup and core (non-premium) bullets, accuracy and performance go to Sierra GK, Hornady Interlock, and CoreLokt in that order.

I've been using the core-lokt for over 40 years now. May not be the best or most accurate but it has never failed me. I started reloading rifle rounds and used the core-lokt as well. I'm experiencing some difficulty in getting them as a component bullet and may switch to the Sierra Pro-hunter for that reason alone.

Basically, at Whitetail ethical ranges (under 200 yds)
Any manufacturer 150-180 JSP rd bullet will do you just
fine if you do your part . You don't need all this marketing
malarkey :rolleyes:

Most of the deer I've shot with a 308 have been with Rem CoreLokt 150's. They do a good job w/o too much meat damage. I've hit a few with Nosler partitions and they always work but are more expensive than is really necessary.

Have tried a lot of different factory ammo in my .308 hunting rifle.
Ever since I tried the Hornady 150gr SST(super shock tip), I've not used any other ammo. Great accuracy, great expansion, and cost isn't too great especially compared to federal GMM.

Back