Seeking Info on a Smolt

Yea, I thought about that later, but I guess I just think of them as the same gun. I've owned both. Actually I'm pretty sure you're right and I'm wrong. I doubt many Speed-Six's were used for Cougars because of the fixed sights. They would have been Security-Six's. (Forehead slap....duhhhhhh) :D
Well I could understand there being Cougars made out of Speed-Six frames eventhough they're fixed sites, because of the Python barrel being heavier with the full underlug and vent rips.

Smythons

DVnzxWw.jpg

These are S&W model 19s with Colt Python barrels. The 6" barrel gun has a action similar to a factory Python but without the Colt "stacking".

The 3" barrel gun has had a lot of work done to it and has a better action than any Python that I have ever shot.

Both guns have the same accuracy as any factory Python that I have used.

I also have a Ruger Cougar. It has an unmodified Ruger Security Six action.

Ok cannot stand it anymore, need to give my personal opinion ( shot several back in its heyday) “What a heck of a way to ruin a nice Model 19”.

Another Partial Python

IgxisRR.jpg

For those that haven't seen one, this is a Cougar. In person, there is less color difference between the barrel and the frame than this picture shows.

It’s a strange dilemma for purists. It is either a ruined non original Smith & Wesson or, a waste of a perfectly good Python barrel.

The reality, however, is quite different. It’s a genius combination of the best traits of two highly regarded gun manufacturers of the era.

I’ve never owned one. Always wanted one. To see one actually stamped with its new name is very cool.

That’s a fine old gun from a more civilized age.

I well remember the Smolts. I was a police officer in the 1970s. Many of us preferred the S&W trigger because it got lighter right before the hammer dropped, and because that was what we were used to. Colt triggers were steady tension or even a lighter heavier right at the end before the hammer fell. Plus the whole feel of the grip frame was different. Like I said, what you're used to.
With hot loads, that big heavy Python barrell underlug held the muzzle down and it was easier to get back on target. And the progressive rifling appeared to be a little more accurate. So, marry your beloved Smith K frame from a 19 with a Python barrell! A match made in heaven.

I had one. After a while I found the barrell lug a bit too muzzle heavy and a tiny bit harder to draw. So I sold it and went to a Smith 66. Then in the 1980s Smith came out with the L frame 686 with a solid underlug and it was a moot point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back