Seeking Info on a Smolt

Atomicag

Inactive
Good afternoon everyone: I recieved a Smolt from my father and cannot find much info on line about it or sales to compare it too. My father stated he had the gun custom made by Bill Davis Customs in Ca. somtime between 1980 and 1984. He further stated that he does not think Bill Davis made it (he thinks he retired by then) but someone at the shop did. He stated it took 9 to 12 months from the time he sent them the gun until the time he recieved it back completed. All the photos I see online of Smolts show the barrel specifically marked "Python" this one is no marked "Python" but it is marked "Smolt""Bill Davis Custom". I was trying to upload pics to this post and I kept getting a "upload failure". The gun is blue with a 6 inch barrel and in amazing condition. Amazingly smooth and accurate. Does anyone have any info on these guns? Are they sought after? What is the range of value? I'm not selling it, but I am curious about it. Thanks and stay safe everyone.

I can't help why any of your questions, but I've always wanted one. Never seen one in real life however. Back in the mid-80's or so, the Smolt was one of the hot setups on the PPC circuit. According to the story the Python barrel was more accurate than the Smith and Wesson, and the Smith and Wesson action was smoother, and more durable than the Python...Hence an entirely new hybrid was born. As an aside, a Python barrel on a Ruger Speed-Six frame was called a "Cougar."

Ask Craig Maraviov

I do not have first hand knowledge, but it is my understanding that Craig Maravlov used to work for Bill Davis. Craig is located in Woodland, CA. You can Google Maravlov Gunsmith in in Woodland.

I have personally seen 1 or 2 Smolts, several on blogs, but never had the pleasure of firing one. In addition to Smolts, Bill Davis was very well known for building PPC revolvers with bull barrels, sight ribs, and double actions second to none.

I also understand Craig does excellent work.

In December of 1977 I went through the Basic 250 class at Jeff Cooper's Gunsite . A fellow student was another deputy sheriff who was from Albuquerque, NM. He has two 6" Smolts and fired them through out the course. The one he started with, shooting Magnum level hand loads, cracked the frame where the barrel was installed. He finished the class with his back-up gun. Cooper was quite impressed with his shooting and commended him on his DA skill. I never got to shoot his Smolt but should have asked. It would have been a worth while experience. Oh, and they were built on Smith Model 19s.

Dave

I think I finally got the pics uploaded. I had to resize them. Thanks for your replies so far. Would anyone have a idea of value?

Resized Smolt 1.jpg

Smolt Resize 2.jpg

Smolt resize 3.jpg

Last edited:
As I understand it, Smolt was a proprietary name, the generic "any gunsmith" Colt barrel on a S&W revolver was a Smython. I have only ever shot one, and it shot acceptably well. I was a Colt man back then, and anything that showed any weakness of the S&W I would grab on to and emphasize it. Smythons used the Colt barrel because it was more accurate than a Smith and the Smith lock work because it was simpler than the Colt and could be smoothed and tuned to be almost as good as a Colt. The Colt Python was touted as being better in rapid fire because the heavy underlug barrel kept muzzle flip to a minimum, and the frame was appropriately sized for the 357 cartridge. The S&W K frames had issues with magnum rounds and would crack inside the frame under the barrel. N frame S&Ws were too big and kind of clumsy with the Colt barrel on them.

Nowadays, there are guns that shoot and last better than either of the customs. The S&W 586/686 are the prime example. But the old custom guns are works of art.

AtomicagI think I finally got the pics uploaded. I had to resize them. Thanks for your replies so far. Would anyone have a idea of value?[/QUOTE said:
I think the problem with trying to estimate a value is that's it's such a specialty item. There just isn't much to compare them too. They're neither fish, nor fowl so to speak.

Like a lot of custom things, it's value totally depends on what someone wants for it, vs what someone is willing to pay.

I did do a search and found a magazine article from 2028 where the price of one was listed as $1400 plus the price of the revolver, and the Python barrel.

Could you sell one for that? I doubt it. Would I insure one for that? Sure, that's a idea of what it would cost me to replace it.

the problem with trying to estimate a value is that's it's such a specialty item

IIRC, part of the appeal for the Python barrel was the weighted underlug. The Smith action was easier to work on for a more desirable trigger pull. The combination of the two was good for competition.

But now Smith revolvers have their own extended underlug. No need for the smolt.

The only way for the OP to find it's worth is to sell it. Gunbroker, no minimum, no reserve, would be a fair barometer. I'd recommend waiting till folks have their tax refunds/stimulus checks, though.

Thanks guys...I appreciate everyone's input and your knowledge. I'm going to hold onto it.....It's a beautiful gun. I was curious about it and you answered a lot of questions for me. Thanks again and be safe...

Foghorn Leghorn said:
IIRC, part of the appeal for the Python barrel was the weighted underlug. The Smith action was easier to work on for a more desirable trigger pull. The combination of the two was good for competition.

I remember that was part of it, but more of the story is that the Python's rifleing was said to be better suited to 148 grain wadcutters, and the Python was supposed to have a tapered choke barrel. The barrel was supposed to get tighter as it got closer to the end of the barrel.

Now, I'm not a machinist so don't ask me how that worked. I just remember hearing it as part of mythology of the Python. No idea if it was true or not.

Also I have always believed, and always will, that the success of the "Smolt" was a big part of the reason Smith and Wesson (and Ruger also with it's GP-100) added a full lug to the barrel of the 5/686 series about that same time.

the Python was supposed to have a tapered choke barrel. The barrel was supposed to get tighter as it got closer to the end of the barrel.
There it is! Thank you. I was racking my brain trying to remember that tid bit of information.

If I'm not mistaken, the Python barrel is 1:14 gain-twist rifled. S&W is 1:18 "straight" twist. The faster twist is preferred for target loads and heavy bullets. Some PPC revolvers used a 1:10 twist Walther or Douglas barrel.
Just a note: The EWK barrels for the Dan Wesson .357's are 1:12 twist.

Last edited:
Neat revolvers. Here's a newer iteration built by Jack Huntington. I really like these!

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Smolt Vlaue

Hello: I saw a Smolt sell for $1699 on Gun Broker a few weeks ago. One bid. I have one I had made up by Ten Ring Precision, out of Texas. He did a fantastic Job at a fair price. I have a Python and always wanted a Smolt too.
If you look at Ten Rings website under, handgun work there is a photo of mine. It's the Smolt with the Stag grips.

Take care!
Kris K.

Bill Davis Co was a police supply store just outside the city of Sacramento Ca. they were also a S&W service center. Bill as I remember was an ex CHP officer and shot competition with us in PPC matches, I had him trim my 6” model 19 to 5” for a duty pistol when I stopped firing competition...that was the best handling revolver I ever had ( alas someone talked me out of it). The Company shut its doors in the late eighties or early nineties as I recall.

I can't help why any of your questions, but I've always wanted one. Never seen one in real life however. Back in the mid-80's or so, the Smolt was one of the hot setups on the PPC circuit. According to the story the Python barrel was more accurate than the Smith and Wesson, and the Smith and Wesson action was smoother, and more durable than the Python...Hence an entirely new hybrid was born. As an aside, a Python barrel on a Ruger Speed-Six frame was called a "Cougar."
They also made Cougars with Security-Six frames too there CajunBass. ;)

Last edited:
They also made Cougars with Security-Six frames too there CajunBass. ;)

Yea, I thought about that later, but I guess I just think of them as the same gun. I've owned both. Actually I'm pretty sure you're right and I'm wrong. I doubt many Speed-Six's were used for Cougars because of the fixed sights. They would have been Security-Six's. (Forehead slap....duhhhhhh) :D

Back