SeeAll Open Sights

But that lense actually is a magnifying lense.
I don't think it is. look at the first (top) image in the "how to use tab of the advert.

The lens is what's called a "concave-convex" (2 curved surfaces one protruding "convex" & the other recessed, "concave"). A magnifying glass or lens is either "Plano-convex" (one flat & one protruding), or biconvex (both sides protruding). Those types form a positive image & have a measurable focal length. The main function of this type is to make a distant object seem closer. (telescope, magnifying glass eyeglasses for those with long sightedness.)

The function of this "diverging lens" is the opposite, to make the close in reticule appear far away superimposed on the target.

Indeed. As Grizz notes, all of the literature and video of this item indicate that the lense magnifies the triangle image on the light gathering piece.

WP said:
The function of this "diverging lens" is the opposite, to make the close in reticule appear far away superimposed on the target.

I appreciate your unpacking of the subject for me.

If this permits one to focus at 100m and simultaneously see the little triangle in focus, I can see why people are enthusiastic about this. At 100m or less I don't think the occlusion below the horizon would be much of an issue.

If this permits one to focus at 100m and simultaneously see the little triangle in focus, I can see why people are enthusiastic about this.
That's exactly what it does, which is its strongest selling point. You do have to align more than the ad implies though. Its about 1/2way between conventional irons & a scope.

Back