Secret Service MP5?

My experience is the Army during the, lets say, cold war era. I remember the times we spent cleaning and lubricating...the times when it just wouldnt work...the cool acronyms to get it to work like sports. I remember the times where I got so frustrated I just wanted to throw it away. I remember a bit of comedy from a Drill Sgt who said if you cant get the M16 to work than just grab it by the barrel and come out swinging and yelling.

After the Army I never used one again and purchased other brands. Ive never had a problem with anything H&K or anything made in Germany or places around it for that matter. So I stick with what works for me. People say things have changed with the AR15 since my earlier years, but it looks like the same rifle to me...

My experience started with the M16A2 in 1997, and I've owned and fired many AR-15s since. I've found the weapon to be the single most reliable firearm I've ever used. Almost all the stoppages I've had with it were due to bad mags issued to me in the Marine Corps.

johnelmore said:
People say things have changed with the AR15 since my earlier years, but it looks like the same rifle to me...
The M16 was prematurely issued to the military, and that caused lots of problems. First, the ammo used by the military was more powerful than what it was designed for, and that stressed the buffer system too much. Second, the chamber and bore weren't chrome lined. And third, the mags it was issued with weren't very reliable.

But worst of all, it was initially issued without cleaning kits and touted as a "self-cleaning" rifle, which we all know isn't true. But once all those problems were sorted out, the rifle proved to be very reliable. Almost all problems experienced in the military since then are either due to poor maintenance or bad mags, and that's hardly the weapon's fault.

Since this thread is now in the NFA forum, I will ask these questions.

Has anyone ever shot both a genuine factory HK MP5 and an NFA MP5?

If you have, can you tell the difference?

I own several NFA MP5s, but I've never really shot a factory MP5 (I once about 15 years ago shot a factory LE MP5, but that was before I knew about NFA machine guns, so I don't remember enough to compare).

FYI, there are no known factory MP5s in the NFA registry. There are rumors of such guns, but they're only rumors. The closest you can come is a double push pin MP5. All NFA MP5s are conversions. Source: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/hk_nfa_conv.HTM

Obviously, the gun in the Secret Service pic is a factory MP5.

From Wikipedia, current weapons issued by the Secret Service:

The current sidearm for USSS agents is the Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .357 SIG, which entered service in 1999, and also the FN Five-seven pistol. A variety of off duty, back up, and undercover weapons are also authorized.

Agents and officers are trained on standard shoulder weapons that include the FN P90 submachine gun, the 9mm Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine gun, and the 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun. The continued use of the MP5 remains a source of controversy as many other federal agencies have moved away from sub-machine guns altogether and replaced them with assault rifles. Despite this, the agency has no current plans to replace this weapon

The Secret Service used to use the Uzi, as seen in photos of when Reagan was shot. I think they have since phased that out. The MP5 and FN P90 are better submachineguns, in my opinion.

MP5 normally has settings for semi, burst, and full auto (as well as safe), using icons that anyone can understand instead of written markings.

I've fired only one MP5, the SD model with the built in suppressor. Very nice weapon.

My experience with the M16 started in 1987 with an M16A1. I've never fired an A2, but I have fired an A4 and an M4. National Guard doesn't always get things fielded to them right away. I've had lots of malfunctions with an M16, but I don't consider it either unreliable or especially reliable.

The funniest problem I ever had with an M16A1 was when it started double-feeding, firing 2-round bursts on semi. This was during a National Guard qualification weekend drill, and I'd already zeroed the sights, so switching to someone else's rifle would have required me to go back to square one and re-zero. Solved the problem for qualification by swapping my lower receiver for another, putting that on my upper, and qualifying with a hybrid rifle. It worked.

The NFA register is public domain? Anyone can search through it? Sorry if I dont know. I would think that information would be ATF eyes only.

No, the NFA registry is not open to the public for general search. Dealers are allowed make inquiries as to specific requests on guns that are in the NFA registry, if the dealer has a serial number of a specific gun. A dealer, any member of the general public, or even law enforcement (see 26 U.S.C. sec. 6103) can not make a general inquiry like, 'is there a Glock 18 in the registry?'

No one really knows what is in the NFA registry, and some would argue that even the ATF doesn't know what is in the registry, since the registry predates current methods of record keeping.

Has anyone ever shot both a genuine factory HK MP5 and an NFA MP5?

I assume you mean a registered sear MP5. So the answer is yes. I could not tell any difference between the two. there was a slight difference in dissasembly (no front push pin on the sear gun).

Back